Principal or Human Resource Director?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Galois, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Galois

Galois Companion

Mar 18, 2011

Who Really Makes the Decision in Hiring?

If you are sending an application to a school district, to whom do you address the cover letter: to the human resource director (sometimes asst. superintendent) of the district or to the principal of the school? Is it better to send it to the school or the district? Who really makes the decision in hiring? Thanks.

3. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Mar 18, 2011

Different districts work different ways. What does it say on the application?

4. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Mar 18, 2011

A lot of times it will just say the district, so you won't know what elem. its for. When I know, I do both. Another time, I really wanted the job, I sent it to the asst. super and all 4 elem. principals. Looking back, I guess you can call the district and ask what school it is for to save the stamps and $$ for the resumes, coverletter, brochures.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2011

In this economy, I think I would do both.

If there's an application online, fill it out. It will probably ask you to attach the letter and resume. If there are multiple schools, address that cover letter to the Superintendent.

Then send both to each principal, noting that your full application is on file with the district.

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Mar 19, 2011

Both for sure.

7. Galois

Galois Companion

Mar 19, 2011

Thanks for the advice. I will be sending to both district and school principals then.

In one job opening I've learned that there were 300 applicants even for a high school math teacher. It is a must sending letters before a job is even posted in this kind of economy.