Principal Issues

Discussion in 'General Education' started by dizzybri14, Feb 7, 2008.

1. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Feb 7, 2008

Ok this may be a bit long winded so beware! I was just notified that our school is going to be starting something new for possible retention students. (First problem... why would someone start something like this mid-year??) Not only that we have to find 30 min. (at least) as a grade level to do this remediation. With pul-out times and etc. we have been unable to find a time after meeting during grade level twice to talk about this. Also... our principal has asked that the ASSISTANT be the one to work with these possible retention students. (This is what I am having the BIGGEST issue with). I don't understand why you would have a non-degreed person working with the students that are already not passing. To me, I would want the person that has the experience and knowledge to reach these children, to be the one working with them in a small group. This is my assistants first year and she is pretty clueless as to how to work with children in reading especially, and this worries me! I have had a wonderful year so far (only my second year), but after thinking about all this chaos it is making me STRESS OUT! I have a wonderful group of kids, and I don't feel that this is what is best for these children! :help: This is something that I don't think I can just let roll off my back...I care too much about how well my kids do this year for them to not get the best! Thanks for reading this entire message, and any suggestions would be wonderful.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 7, 2008

I don't understand your principal's thinking behind this. I am currently working with 5th graders that are on the cusp of passing or failing the state test in March and April. I know this job required certification. The only thing I can suggest, since you can't exactly talk to the prince about this, is to try to come up with some things your assistant can do with the students. Maybe you and the assistant can sit down together one day after school and discuss what she can do to help these students.

4. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Feb 7, 2008

Problem with helping students is few teachers, aides, administrators are trained in how to help. Often in their attempt to help the problem(s) becomes worse.

5. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Feb 8, 2008

As long as you design the intervention instruction, why should it be harmful that it's your aide delivering it? Possibly your principal's thinking is that it's better for you to be teaching the whole class while someone else is teaching the small group, if you see what I mean. If they are at risk they will need a lot of extra support which you as the classroom teacher would not be able to provide without being unavailable for the rest of the class. I definitely would find the positive in this situation and go with it.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 8, 2008

Yes, I agree that this is pretty strange to do at THIS time of year. You said that you have an assistant, so I assume you're a type of special ed teacher, such as RSP or SDC right? Otherwise, I've only seen one general ed teacher in my life who had an assistant (the reason was unknown to me why she had one & no one else). But if you do, that's great!

If you aren't the special ed teacher, do you happen to know if the special ed teachers on your campus are really overwhlemed w/ students? Maybe there are so many special ed kids that the person's overwhlemed & the pricipal thinks that something else needs to be done.

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Feb 8, 2008

I'm not sure how long your reading block is, or if you even do reading groups, but could those students go to the assistant after their guided reading group time? Also, I agree that as long as you plan the intervention and review it with the assistant, they should be able to implement it easily. If you really want to be in charge of it, could your aide monitor the rest of the class on independent work while you work with the group?

8. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Feb 8, 2008

First off no I am not sp. ed. I teach 1st grade in a reg. ed classroom. Each of our K-1 classes have full time asst. I am trying to see the positive in this situation, but at this time in the year its really difficult to understand and swallow the situation. I know that I don't really have many options, but I had to get this off my chest and vent. I understand wanting the teacher available for the rest of the class and the asst. with the small group. I just don't understand why anyone would start this mid-year, and also be unable to explain there decision or answer our questions. As you can tell this is driving me nutty! :woot: Good thing this is my last year at this school!

9. little317

little317 Groupie

Feb 9, 2008

I can actually see why they may start mid year. Programs like this take time to plan out and implement. Your principal probably wants to have the teachers try it out for a short time. Then over the summer, a planning team could get together and work the kinks out so that next year it will run smoother. You are very fortunate to have an assistant. We have no assistants in Kdg gen ed anymore....its becoming more the norm these days. If you are concerned that your assistant needs help, let her sit next to you during some of your reading groups, and on ocasion, let her run a group with you there. Let her get a feel for how to run a group. It would be similar to helping a new intern. Then plan the lessons for her. From time to time, sit down with your assistant and give her some feedback on her strategies. This way if you have any problems, you are giving her chances to improve.

10. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Feb 9, 2008

Thanks Little! That is a good idea, and I think I might just have to try that out with my asst. I am thankful to have her, just worried handing over my possible retentions' futures to her. This idea may save me some stress in the long run! This is why I love A to Z! Thanks everyone for support/advice! :)

11. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Mar 6, 2008

(((((dizzy)))))

They, the administrators, are doing the same thing in my school. They are doing a 30 pull out with the paras (some degreed some not). I, like you, don't understand the thought behind it.

I think 2007-2008 has been open season for bad ideas from principals.

12. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Mar 6, 2008

Does that mean we can shoot them? :angel:

13. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Mar 6, 2008

:lol:Only if its in your contract.:2up:

14. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 6, 2008

How frustrating for you! I totally see what you are saying - I would freak out handing my remedial 1st graders (who, in my opinion, are just a little behind developmentally, not remedial) over to someone without the education or training to help them.

Can you set things up in your own classroom? If so, to tell you the truth, I would plan centers which would be supervised by the assistant, then work with the small group myself, and let the principal take a flying leap. Does the principal do much in class supervision?? Plus, it is your last year at that school . . .

It makes no sense at all to turn these little guys who need extra help over to someone who doesn't know the tricks to help!