"Principal" Interview Day

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by emmakate218, Apr 12, 2010.

1. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Apr 12, 2010

I received an e-mail last night from the Director of Staffing from a local school district (the district I attended K-12 and did my twelve-week long term assignment in), inviting me to their "Interview Day" this Friday. Within the e-mail, she stated, "...invite you to our principal interview day... interview with us...able to join us...". "Principal" interview day? Us?

It left me thinking that maybe my application got mixed up with the applications from principal applicants, but that would be really careless mistake on their behalf and I don't think the district conducts principal interviews in that manner.

My next thought was that a panel of principals interviews applicants, which would explain the use of the words "principal" and "us".

I'm aware that the school district conducts district level interviews to select candidates for a pool from which the principals interview from. I'm not aware of whether or not a panel of principals conduct the interviews! Eek. :eek:

Has anyone ever been interviewed by a panel of principals before?!

My execution by firing squad...I mean interview, will be this Friday at 1:15. :lol:

3. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Apr 12, 2010

Semi-update...

I responded accepting the invite and asked if she could confirm that the interview would be held in the admin. complex.

She just responsed, answered my question, and stated, "If you have a portfolio you can bring it but it is not a requirement, the principalwill have your resume". Phew, singular.

I guess they ask a principal to conduct screening interviews for the district...or maybe this principal is interviewing for anticipated positions at their campus and HR does all the legwork for them...still, why wouldn't they hold the interviews at the campus? And if this is the case, that may mean that HR didn't feel a screening interview was necessary for me to be put in the applicant pool based off my experience with the district.

Oh, the possibilities.

I don't have a portfolio because I really haven't had enough experience. I made a brochure last year that would need revising and I could pull some lesson plans and whatnot together...

4. texjess2010

texjess2010 Companion

Apr 12, 2010

wow, this sounds like an amazing opportunity! good luck to you!

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 12, 2010

How confusing...but hopefully it goes well. Good luck! Glad you got it a bit straightened out :)

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 12, 2010

Good luck! Don't stress about it.. I know of some districts that have either a principal or a team of proincipals conduct "screening" interviews, as more-or-less a panel... then they can all have experience with candidates and can place them in the school or position they think is the best fit. (Rather than needing to do 4 different interviews for 4 different schools all in the same district)... they often do those at the district office as opposed to one particular school just because they aren't only hiring for one school.

Good luck and do let us know what happens!!!! ;)

7. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Apr 12, 2010

Thanks for the replies, y'all.

clarnet73, I think that may be the case. I wasn't told who the principal was, what school, or what grade level. It makes sense that they would make a "day" of it for principals to come to one spot to all interview several applicants for the open positions.

Eek! How exciting!

8. mistah

mistah Rookie

Apr 14, 2010

Do whatever u can to put a portfolio together! This will be a HUGE asset. Didn't you have to do that in student teaching? It can be your best friend and help you prepare tremendously. Plus, if you have your portfolio, I've found that I'm more comfortable b/c everything that I know and have done is in front of me....just something to think about ;).

9. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Apr 14, 2010

I have a portfolio from my undergrad program, but it's one of those HUGE portfolios that is just plain ridiculous. It was never meant to be a portfolio that one takes to an interview, which even the professors stated.

All throughout Monday, I debated whether or not to revise my brochure or to start assembling a portfolio and ultimately decided on a portfolio. Since I held a long term position last year, I have more artifacts that I can put in the portfolio. I wish I had photos to liven up my portfolio, but I don't. It's looking good so far. I'm going to finish all the components tonight and assemble it tomorrow night. I've also been going over interview questions.

10. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

Apr 17, 2010

How did it go?

11. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2010

The interview went well and I have a positive feeling about it.

The way the "Principal Interview Day" was set up was that about ten principals volunteered their time to conduct the district's screening interviews of applicants.

The principal that interviewed me was super mellow and was nice. She told me, "there are no right or wrong answers."

We began by flipping through my mini-portfolio, which I'm so glad that I put it together! I was able to tell her about me, my experience, and such all while looking at the mini-portfolio. It killed the nerves I had. The principal also really like the RTI progessing monitoring chart and individualized behavior chart that I had in my mini-portfolio.

After we flipped through my mini-portfolio, she asked me about ten or so pre-selected questions. Also, I noticed that each applicant interviewing had an applicant file (manila folder) that the principals had with them. I'm guessing our app, references, the answers to our interview questions were in the applicant file. It also seemed that there was some sort of scoring sheet attached to the folder. Anyhow, the interview questions weren't tricky. Some included:

How do you keep motivated after a challenging day?
    What keeps you motivated to accomplish your goals?
    What do you think the most important things to do would be during the first few days of schools?
    What strategies do you like to use to keep students motivated?
    What strategies do you use when it comes to language arts and math?
    How well do you work on a team on a scale of 1 (not well) to 5 (very well) and defend your rating?
    What do you want to know about your students?
    What is the ideal relationship between a teacher and a student?
    What types of students would you like?

The principal took the time to show me the map of the district and point out where her school is. She told me about the area from which her students come from and how the school expected an increase in enrollment.

To get a screening interview with this particular district is huge and since I feel like the interview went well, I have a feeling that I'll receive campus-based interviews.

12. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Apr 18, 2010

Sounds great! Good luck! :)

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2010

Sounds like it went well! Congrats :)

14. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2010

Glad it went well! Good luck!

15. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2010

Thanks, y'all.

It's only been two days and the waiting has been excruciating. :) Really. I strongly dislike not knowing what my near future holds. Don't we all?

I just spent the last hour and a half writing thank you e-mails to the principal that interviewed me and to the HR director - I still wanted to send her one even though I didn't meet with her personally. She's definitely influential.

Oh, what will the week bring?