PRINCIPAL HELP WANTED

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by love2teach9, Jan 23, 2012.

1. love2teach9

love2teach9 New Member

Jan 23, 2012

I have tried my hardest to get the principals that I sub for to read over my resume/cover letters and give me advice. I believe I am not standing out, or there is something wrong with my documents. If there is a principal that is willing to take a couple minutes to read over my paperwork I would greatly appreciate it!

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 23, 2012

We used to have a couple principals who were regulars...Tiffany comes to mind...Oh, but Brendan is now a principal, perhaps you could PM them.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 23, 2012

Welcome to A to Z!

To be honest, they may simply be too busy to do this favor. Or they may see it as a conflict of interest, helping you on a cover letter when they may end up interviewing you for a job. Or, to put it baldly, it simply isn't their job to help you get a job.

Why not remove identifying info, and post it here? Someone will be happy to take a look at it.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 23, 2012

I'm on our district hiring committee...I'd take a look if you want to pm me.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2012

My apologies.

I thought it was a sincere question.

7. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Jan 24, 2012

Maybe I'm not understanding the whole situation, but if you know the reasons why the principals you sub for won't or can't help, why are you declining the help offered on this board? There are several posters that have been a part of the hiring process (like czacza) and many experienced teachers who have great advice to give. I credit the help I received here as part of why I was hired in this market. Just give it a try...it can't hurt right?? :2cents: :)

8. love2teach9

love2teach9 New Member

Jan 25, 2012

To Whom It May Concern,
    I was excited to see the openings you listed for a Second Grade Teacher and Fifth Grade Teacher for the School District on wisconsin.gov. The School District appeals to me because of the commitment to “providing the opportunity for each student to belong, engage, and excel.” I am interested in teaching in this district for the belief that Schools are dedicated to empowering each student to reach their full potential. With my major in Elementary Education and minor in Health Education, I would like to implement my skills in a positive and encouraging elementary setting.
    My substitute teaching experiences have enabled me to develop the tools necessary to instruct and guide students. I have strengthened my organization and communication skills by teaching in various districts, schools, and classrooms. As a therapist for Autism I have enhanced my ability to differentiate instruction through the use of adaptations and modifications. While student teaching I was able to further develop my time management skills by teaching Seventh Grade Health in the morning and First Grade in the afternoon. During my experience, I volunteered for various fundraising activities, such as Staff vs. Students Dodge Ball Game and the 4th and 5th Grade Sleepover. I was able to build a great rapport with students and make the necessary relationships for a positive school experience. My commitment to the extra-curricular component of teaching has grown with involvement in sporting events, such as High and Middle School Track and the Youth Wrestling Tournaments. I also reinforced my leadership abilities by having an active role in Girl Scouts.
    I am especially interested in the School District because of the Responsive School programming. It is my responsibility as an educator to meet the individual needs of my students and provide a positive and safe learning environment for their success.
    I would appreciate the opportunity to demonstrate my abilities in interviews for the Second Grade Teacher and Fifth Grade Teacher in the School District. Thank you for your consideration.
    Sincerely,

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 25, 2012

You'll personalize this, of course.

Second grade and fifth grade are two very different propositions. If you're going to apply for both with one letter, it's up to you to show in that letter how you could excel in either position. That's a challenge, and I might recommend separate letters.

If you're going to quote the district motto (and that's a good thing to do), you can then use it to organize your cover letter. What have you done that has helped individual students belong, engage, and excel?

Unless you have reason to believe that the district is specifically looking for strength in health education, that's a detail that can safely be left to your resume. "Implement" is not the word you wanted here: programs get implemented, but skills can be deployed.

This is a long breathless paragraph of activities and buzzwords - lots and lots of buzzwords that don't always connect clearly to the activities with which they're mentioned. Worse, one doesn't see much of YOU in any of them. Have you got a story or two about an individual student you reached? And is there a story about what got you into being a therapist for autism?

Your mention of the Responsive School program might go better at the beginning of the letter, where you're showing your familiarity with what the district is up to.

Please review the rules for capitalization. Programs with proper names are capitalized ("Steps Up to Writing"), but majors, school grade levels, and sports generally aren't ("elementary education", "fourth grade", and "flag football" - though of course "Girl Scouts" is capitalized, and languages and nationalities are in "high school English" or "Australian rugby").

10. love2teach9

love2teach9 New Member

Jan 25, 2012

Thank you for your advice! The other response I received also stated that I needed to make it more personal, I am going to do some editing and re-post when I have time between work.

11. love2teach9

love2teach9 New Member

Jan 25, 2012

To Whom It May Concern,

I was excited to see the opening you listed for a second grade teacher for the School District on wisconsin.gov. The School District appeals to me because of the commitment to “providing the opportunity for each student to belong, engage, and excel.” I am interested in teaching in this district for the belief that Schools are dedicated to not only empowering each student to reach their full potential but implementing a successful Responsive School program.

I decided to become an autism therapist because I wanted to help children but also challenge myself as an educator. Throughout my year as an autism therapist I worked with a child that went from non-communicative and aggressive to very talkative and minimal aggressive behavior. I attribute these successes to applied behavior therapy, a positive reinforcement program, and adaptations/modifications to lessons. Adaptations or modifications that I used in lessons were things such as prompting, visual aids, and decreasing trials for attention. A therapy goal that this child had was to be more social, to belong with his peers. I worked to engage him in activities, not only learning but play as well. Another goal he had was to excel in his learning programs, such as colors, sight reading, etc. All of these goals and more were met through a responsive classroom approach.

I would appreciate the opportunity to demonstrate my abilities in interviews for the second grade teacher in the School District. Thank you for your consideration.
    Sincerely,

***This is what I changed so far, I am not really sure where to go after that??

Here is what I deleted:

My substitute teaching experiences have enabled me to develop the tools necessary to instruct and guide students. I have strengthened my organization and communication skills by teaching in various districts, schools, and classrooms. As a therapist for Autism I have enhanced my ability to differentiate instruction through the use of adaptations and modifications. While student teaching I was able to further develop my time management skills by teaching Seventh Grade Health in the morning and First Grade in the afternoon. During my experience, I volunteered for various fundraising activities, such as Staff vs. Students Dodge Ball Game and the 4th and 5th Grade Sleepover. I was able to build a great rapport with students and make the necessary relationships for a positive school experience. My commitment to the extra-curricular component of teaching has grown with involvement in sporting events, such as High and Middle School Track and the Youth Wrestling Tournaments. I also reinforced my leadership abilities by having an active role in Girl Scouts.