Principal hasn't e-mailed me back...do I call or e-mail again?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Em_Catz, May 28, 2014.

1. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

May 28, 2014

Around 1:30 p.m. on Tuesday (yesterday) I received an e-mail from the principal of a school I would like to work at next year.

The P requested that (if i was still interested) I come in for an interview next week.

My husband said I should call her, but I get a little nervous over the phone, so I emailed her back around 4 p.m. the same day to say I was interested, but would it be possible to push back the interview time by 30 minutes because our school gets out later than hers.

I went on to say if that wasn't an option to please let me know so I could make the necessary arrangements to get to the interview at the time she stated. (I didn't tell the P this, but I'd take a half day so I could get there)

I expected to hear back yesterday evening or at least sometime today. NOTHING. It's now 6:10 p.m. STILL NOTHING.

Should I wait until tomorrow and send another e-mail? Call the school after dismissal and request to speak with her? (I'm thinking to say something like, "Hi, this is Em Catz. I'm returning Mrs. Principal's call about interviewing for a teaching position?" (technically she didn't call, rather she emailed, but I don't know how to say "I'm checking to see if Mrs. Principal got my email because it's been two days and she hasn't responded."

What do you all think?

3. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

May 28, 2014

I think you worded your e-mail incorrectly if you wanted a response either way.

You only asked for a response if it was NOT an option.

Now you are stuck not knowing if he read it or if it IS ok.

Unless he or she is kind enough to follow up regardless, you are suck calling and confirming.

4. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

May 28, 2014

Yeah...that doesn't make sense to me. Even if the P is okay with pushing the meeting back, I can't imagine that they'd not send a response of some sort to confirm.

It's not as if I said, "Hi, I'll be there at 4 p.m. If that's a problem, please e-mail me back and let me know. If not, I'll see you then."

I think it's more likely that the e-mail wasn't read yet, not that the P is only going to respond if she is NOT okay with pushing back the meeting.

5. teachinnola

teachinnola Rookie

May 28, 2014

I would call tomorrow or Friday and say "I'm following up with the email you sent two days ago and want to confirm the interview time" or something like that. I think that is reasonable if the interview is suppose to be in the next week or two.

6. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

May 28, 2014

FWIW, I would have e-mailed her too since that's the way she contacted you. I'm thinking it probably got jumbled up with the other e-mails in her inbox. I know that I got several everyday that meant nothing to me that it was hard to pay attention to those that did. I can only imagine how many a P gets in one day.

If I didn't get a response by tomorrow after school, I'd call. Maybe start the conversation with something like, "Good afternoon Mrs. Principal. This is Em Catz. I'm calling to follow up the e-mail sent to you. I was wondering which interview time would work best for you and your team?" When she answers your question, you could leave it on a positive note and say something like how you are looking forward to meeting her and discussing the position.

I don't think there'd be anything wrong with saying you're following up. Ps are busy people. There's a possibility she read the e-mail but got distracted/busy with something else and forgot to respond.

Beth

7. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

May 28, 2014

THANK YOU BOTH. Those are excellent suggestions. :thumb: I'm going to call tomorrow morning and you're absolutely right Beth, P's are busy and maybe she forgot or did like me and wrote it, got distracted and thought she sent it, when really it's in her drafts

8. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

May 29, 2014

How'd it go?

9. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

May 29, 2014

Hey! I just came back to this thread to update and saw you checked in on me. You rock!

I called this morning before school started and got the secretary. I literally repeated what you wrote verbatim and the secretary said the P was visiting another school but that she'd relay the message.

About an hour later, the new school P sent me another e-mail asking if I could come in the week AFTER next at the later time i requested.

I'm happy but a little blown because I really wanted to interview next week because if my E.O.Y interview is scheduled with my P BEFORE the interview at new school, I will either have to lie or come clean to my current P that I'm not sure I'll be back next year. Awkward,

But anyway, thank you so much for helping me with the wording.

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 30, 2014

You can say, "At this time, I have no plans to leave this school." You don't have any DEFINITE plans, do you?