Principal gossiping

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ttt999, Jan 7, 2009.

1. ttt999

ttt999 Rookie

Jan 7, 2009

I am constantly hearing comments from other teachers regarding personal things that I have discussed with my principal. For instance, I submitted a request for time off and another teacher told me that he and she were laughing about the amount of days that I requested. Also I have heard comments that my principal has made to other teachers regarding my tardiness. Today took the cake when a teacher told me that she wanted me gone. I am frustrated that my business is being spread not only to other admin. but to my collegues. Please help me. I feel helpless and degrated. WHat should I do?

3. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Jan 7, 2009

Are you represented by a union? I would document everything you've heard and who you heard it from, and then report it to the union. That is completely unacceptable, no matter how much she wants to "get rid of you". Good luck!

4. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jan 7, 2009

Yes, absolutely--document everything. I would say to confront the principal, but I know that can backfire. If you haven't joined your teachers' union, do it now! Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2009

I would definitely contact the union if you are a part of it. Document, document, document. Make sure to include the date, who you heard it from, and what was said. Once you hear from the union rep, you might want to set up a meeting between you, the union rep, and the principal. Is there anyway that you can ask for a transfer to another school for the next school year?

6. bballlady

bballlady Rookie

Jan 7, 2009

Under no circumstances meet with your principal alone and discuss this. Your union rep, if there is one, needs to be contacted. This is a labor/management issue. If you are not represented in a union contact your county or state association and find out what your options are.

7. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jan 7, 2009

I agree that this is not something that your principal should be discussing with colleages. Are you tardy a lot? If so, that could be stirring resentment with your colleagues. We had a teacher who was regularly 15 to 20 minutes late because she just wasn't a morning person. It made the rest of us mad because we were then responsible for her morning duties and kids. Did we complain? You bet, both to her personally and to the administration. I don't know what types of conversations the P had with the teacher in question, but I do know that she started coming to school on time shortly after.

8. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Jan 7, 2009

Yes, if you have a problem with tardiness, your principal should be bringing it to YOU not your colleagues, but you might want to evaluate the complaints and seek a way to improve yourself in this situation as well. After all, none of us are perfect, but we don't want to hear about our boss's unhappiness about us from our colleagues! Hope you can get it all sorted out!

9. ttt999

ttt999 Rookie

Jan 8, 2009

Thanks to everyone for your advise with this. I really appreciate it. We are a non-union state the so-called union that I am a member of gets funding from the school system so they really do not have our best interests in mind and whenever something is reported it usually backfires. My tardiness is not excessive and the times that I have been it has only been at the most 5 minutes. She has every right to confront ME about it but NOT my co-workers. She has a personal problem with me and instead of handling it with me like a true leader would, she is choosing to undermine me and degrade me to my co-workers. I AM GETTING OUT. I have been teaching for five years, and have been at 3 schools (due to moving out of state) and I have had over 90% pass rate on all state tests. I am way to good of a teacher for this school, and this is the boost I needed to take my services elsewhere. Thanks again for the support and advise!!

10. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jan 8, 2009

BEFORE YOU LEAVE make sure you leave her a letter explaining how you feel about her UNPROFESSIONALISM! Keep a copy, in case she wants to spread gossip about that too. She's a sad excuse for a Principal.:eek:
    You won't be burning any bridges. You'll maybe TAP INTO her brain, to process some useful INFO for future teachers. :D
    Good luck,
    Rebel1

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jan 9, 2009

Before you give her that letter, try to get a letter of reference from her first. Don't laugh - the first person your next principal will contact will be your last principal!

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2009

Wow! How unprofessional of your principal.. I wish you the best of luck. :)