Principal Evaluation

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by woobie5, Sep 14, 2009.

1. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Sep 14, 2009

My principal requires that he does an evaluation before the end of the 1st quarter. He pops in periodically here and there ... but this is a "formal" evaluation. We get to choose when he comes in and what lesson he observes but I'm at a loss of what to have him observe. Isn't that sad? I should feel confident with everything that we do in K .... but I guess I just want to make a good impression and not just do the "same 'ole, same 'ole' ... WWYD?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2009

I would say: "My door is always open. Please stop by whenever it's convenient for you."

4. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Sep 15, 2009

I too have an open door policy for my principal, but there are times when it would be more interesting for him to observe. Yesterday, one of my classes was writing for thirty minutes and I write with them so nothing to watch there. And other one of my classes was reading to themselves for twenty minutes. He also never stays more than two minutes in my advanced Spanish class since we are speaking only Spanish! Of course, k is someone different.

5. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2009

And I wouldn't do anything out of the ordinary. If it's writing time, he will love to see you conferencing with your students. If it's math time, maybe they are still free exploring, but you can still pull a group and work on patterns or something you've taught already. Or perhaps you're just walking around and asking engaging questions.
    My principal always says don't do anything differently. As long as your teaching has a purpose (and follows our standards) then you'll be okay.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2009

I agree with the others that this is what you should be doing for an evaluation. Your principal wants to see what goes on in your room on a regular basis, not what sort of "horse and pony show" you can put together. I've often seen teachers plan a huge production (spending hours planning one half hour lesson), only to have the principal have to reschedule because of an emergency that came up in the office. They have then had to make the decision about whether to plan another extravaganza or just do what they would normally do. (Although, one teacher I know was so invested in her "evaluation lesson" that she taught it a second time--the principal couldn't make it the first time. While reruns on TV can be enjoyable, reruns of a lesson within the same week just don't work well).

You will make a very positive impression by letting your principal know that you would welcome him in at any time that is convenient.

7. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2009

Hmmm, maybe my school is different, but when we do a 'formal' evaluation, we have to schedule a time- and we meet with the P ahead of time with a copy of the lesson plan and the data to show why we are teaching the lesson. She has to approve it first- then we teach the lesson when she is in the room (I had to reschedule mine 5 times last year- I just keep pushing it back), then we have a post conference...We discuss if the children learned what we set out for them to learn and then show the data based on our final evaluation of the lesson. It is VERY time consuming, but it is what has to be done- 2 times a year!!

8. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Sep 15, 2009

This is EXACTLY what I have to do and that is why I'm struggling. Do you just pick one of your normal daily lessons and write out the plans in depth etc?

9. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2009

ew, I am so glad I don't have to do that.

10. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2009

I would still pick one of my usual daily lessons and just write out the plans in more depth. Nothing special or out of the ordinary. I have heard that kids don't always act their best when you try something new!

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 16, 2009

This is what I would do. We also have to meet with our principal pre-evaluation to discuss What they will be seeing. Sometimes this meeting is a week or so in advance of the visit, so I discuss what I think they will be seeing, keeping in mind that with any class, you may be a bit ahead or a bit behind of where you anticipate being in a weeks time. Our formal plan is handed in the day before the observation, so we have a better idea. Because I don't plan a "stand-alone" lesson for an observation, I can't push it back and do need to do new formal plans (although, my previous principal was very understanding when she needed to reschedule and just asked for an outline of the new lesson, not full formal plans).

12. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

Sep 16, 2009

My favorite thing to have the P observe is group time. That is the time that I feel most in control and when my children are most engaged in what we are doing. Usually, I schedule my observation for our first group time of the day (calendar, etc). I have to list all of the standards that we are going to cover during the lesson and I feel like I cover the most during that time.
    Also, it's a normal part of our routine and a time when the kids are focused on me, so they are less distracted by having a visitor in the room.
    I always tell my kids before the observation that the P is coming to see what we are learning and wouldn't he be so impressed to hear them ___________. I try to get them excited about showing what they know. It seems to keep their behavior more in check.
    Definitely choose a time when you are confident with yourself and what your kids are doing. Then, do what you do best.

13. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 16, 2009

I find that earlier in the day works better for me. Kids seem to change after lunch =)

14. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2009

I agree!! Yes, I usually plan a regular lesson- more in depth, and though I don't try anything new, I do 'prep' the kids. For example, last year our P wanted to observe a guided reading lesson. I had introduced the kids to the book already and had them make their predictions. When she came in, we re-read the book, checked our predictions, and did an extension activity. Because our guided reading/center time is so short (only 20-25 minutes), there is no way I could have done everything in that short period of time, and I thought that seeing the "end" of the lesson would be better for an observation. Good luck, it know it is nerve wrecking!!:woot:

15. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2009

Off topic but TeacherC - your pic makes me want a dog!

16. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2009

LOL- I love my little Moose!! He is bigger now- that was 2 years ago- but it is my favorite pic of him!