Principal asking for references, good sign???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by lifecomplicated, Jul 6, 2010.

1. lifecomplicated

lifecomplicated Rookie

Jul 6, 2010

I just had an interview where the principal asked for the home phone number of my references, is this a good sign?
    I had put down their work numbers for my all my references, and since they are all educators, they are out for the summer. Now, I have to track them down which could be difficult. I hope that the principal is really interested in hiring me and not just following interview protocols. I wish I had thought about this before the summer, I just didn't expect the interview process to drag on till the summer.

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 6, 2010

I think when a principal takes the time to call references, it is a good sign. Calling references is not usually just interview protocols as it is a time consuming process for P's. Espcially if the P called you at home to get different numbers! Sounds really good

Good Luck - fingers crossesd and hope you hear good news soon

4. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Jul 6, 2010

Yep; it's a good sign.

Trust me, it's not protocol to call the 3-5 references for the hundreds of applicants you receive for an open teaching position.

You only do that for the ones you want to hire ;)

5. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 6, 2010

That's what let me know I had a really good shot at my current position. The P contacted me via email (or phone, can't remember) asking for a home number for 1 of my references. The next day I received an invitation for a final interview with the supt. and the rest is history.

Definite good sign!

6. lifecomplicated

lifecomplicated Rookie

Jul 6, 2010

Thanks guys for your comments. I did not want to get my hopes up as I have in the past.

7. newbeeteacher

newbeeteacher Rookie

Jul 6, 2010

It definitely sounds like a good sign! After my interview, the P called me the next day and asked for other references as he could not get in touch with the ones I had provided initially. I emailed them to him and he contacted them the same day. Next day, he offers me the job. :)

8. mrs.tt

mrs.tt Rookie

Jul 6, 2010

I think when they call the references at ANY job interview that is a good sign! I think of it as one of the final checks they do before offering a job. At least, that has always been my experience.

9. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 6, 2010

yes, it's a good sign!

10. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2010

Keep us posted!

11. lifecomplicated

lifecomplicated Rookie

Jul 6, 2010

I will, I just need to hear from people who know people who might be able to give me the home phone numbers of my references.

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 7, 2010

That's a good idea! My principal had a horrible time reaching my references over the summer. I had to supply him with a list of alternate references. He REALLY wanted to hire me. Hopefully it's the same for you!

13. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2010

I think that it is a very good sign and I hope the best for you. Keep us posted!!

14. lifecomplicated

lifecomplicated Rookie

Jul 7, 2010

It's so frustrating, trying to reach them over the summer. The principal did email me today to say that she emailed their work email as well. I feel like I am going to lose the job over this and she is supposed to make her decision by Friday after interviewing others. What if she give the positions to others because they have available references? This really sucks. I probably might have to wait till August when my references return to work to get another job.

15. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 7, 2010

Is there anyone at the school during the day where your references work; a school secretary, district office HR perhaps? Maybe you could actually call the school or district, explain your situtation to see if they could contact your references so they could call you with their home phone numbers. Or maybe they would be comfortable giving out the phone numbers. Do these references have land lines? Have you tried looking them up in the a phone book? I know this must be soooo frustrating but I really don't think the P would give the job to someone else for this reason.

Keep us posted

16. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2010

We have a rolodex at our school of home addresses and phone numbers for all of the employees. Maybe your school has that? Good luck!!

17. lifecomplicated

lifecomplicated Rookie

Jul 7, 2010

Thanks. Yeah I thought of that because my former school did this but I am not sure if they will give it to me. I would have a problem with them giving my contact info to anyone especially parents. I have nothing to lose, so I will try tomorrow.

18. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Jul 8, 2010

On the contrary, it sounds like the principal is afraid of losing you.

She is consistency keeping you in the loop to let you know she's going through the process, but it's taking time.

That's what I do when things will take a while, but I don't want my contact to think I'm inactive.

Just sayin' ...

19. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Jul 8, 2010

Could you go to whitepages.dot and look up there names and numbers and then give them a call to give them a heads up?

20. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 8, 2010

:yeahthat:

Good luck! You haven't lost this job! If anything, getting these numbers will just cement in your P's mind that you are determined and will go to great lengths to get what you want!

21. lifecomplicated

lifecomplicated Rookie

Jul 10, 2010

Thank you guys for all your support. I tried to contact my old school but they were closed. I also tried white pages and was able to locate the wife of one of my references but I think she thought I was a telemarketer, so she hung up on me. I tried calling a few times after that and she did not pick up and they was no answering machine. I tried calling another but I think the number was disconnected. After feeling low, I emailed the principal to let her know I am working on it. I gave her additional references but I think she would rather wait for my original ones as they have titles and the others are just teachers.

She told me on Tuesday that she will let me know her decision by today but she never called. I looked on the website and noticed that the position I interviewed for was gone. At this point, I just don't know what to think as this was my dream district.

I do have an interview for a middle eastern teaching job tomorrow and it seems like a guaranteed thing so I am very worried. Not just because they have great benefits, higher tax free pay and a different culture, I am worried because she might still call me to offer me the job. I like her and she is very down to earth. And aside from the interview last Tuesday, we have communicated three times this week by email. But I am tempted as I can lose both jobs.