Primary Teaching: How to deal w/ pedagogy if children aren’t progressing in the lesson as you hoped?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Matthew P, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Matthew P

Matthew P Rookie

Sep 6, 2020

Hi everyone, just putting out on a platform and would like to ask what's your secret behind how you engage all children in your classes? (Particularly if things aren't moving the way you hoped)
    I understand that children all learn in different ways, so I try to make sure my lessons include a variety of teaching techniques. My pedagogical approach shows that all children can learn if they’re given the correct tools.... and I try to keep the tasks as creative as possible and have taken a real focus on inquiry based strategies in line with thinking routines this year for my current Year 4 class. I sometimes wonder if there is another way to capture all interests and personalities I have in my classroom. Therefore, what are your tips or tricks and how does your lesson change if things aren't moving the way they should? : /

3. Victoria Crossan

Victoria Crossan New Member

Oct 6, 2020

Hi Matthew,
    First, I think it's awesome that you try to include a variety of techniques in your teaching - it's so easy to get stuck teaching the same material, in the same way, for years. You sound like you're really doing your best to try and engage students, which isn't something all teachers take into account!
    In my experience, inquiry based strategies have always gotten my students engaged (regardless of topic, they can usually find a way to make inquiries unique and personalized for them).
    I like to use the website Learning by Inquiry (all one word . com) for ideas on how to infuse my topic studies or units with elements of inquiry learning. There are lots of downloadable resources available there as well.
    To answer your final question, if things aren't moving the way they should, I usually pause (with a brain break or burst of movement), then turn the topic over to the students and ask them questions. For example, if they don't seem engaged I might pause, play Simon Says or do jumping jacks for 5 minutes, then dive right back in, but begin with a few questions about the content we've covered and how it relates to their life in some way. It doesn't always work, but it's done the job quite a few times. Every class is different!
    Best of luck! :D

4. Toby A

Toby A Rookie

Oct 20, 2020

Student directed learning fosters engagement