Primary sources for biology?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by beccmo, Jun 17, 2014.

1. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Jun 17, 2014

I want to provide a list of credible websites/magazines that are appropriate for high school biology students. The goal is for students to choose an article of interest to them to read..then write an abstract and properly cite the article.

So far I have National Geographic..Science Daily..Biology News Net..and New Scientist. What other resources do you find useful and appropriate?

3. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jun 18, 2014

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 19, 2014

In sciences, most of the sources you are referencing would be secondary sources. It is difficult to get primary sources for high school students. They can read abstracts online but would generally need subscriptions to expensive scientific journals to get actual primary sources.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 19, 2014

Were you planning to work through an article with the students to teach/model for them how to unpack one and what the text structures are?

(One of two medical journals - either the New England Journal of Medicine or the Journal of the AAFP, the family docs' association - ran an article some years ago on causes and prevention in moose vs. motorcycle accidents - which sounds morbid in the conventional sense of the word (doctors use that word as a technical synonym for 'sick'). The article, which is more than slightly tongue-in-cheek, was composed fairly strictly according to proper style. I'd seen it in the journal, back in the '80s, but was reminded of it a few months ago, and found the whole thing online, though I don't still have the link. That might make a fine article to dissect together.)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014