Primary school Literacy materials in different states

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ElisePreacher, Apr 13, 2020.

1. ElisePreacher

ElisePreacher New Member

Apr 13, 2020

Dear teachers,
    I am a home school mom and newly immigrated to the US. I am asking for help for English literacy materials for my 6-year-old kid. His English level is not as high as American kids at the same age. So I use materials of kindergarten children level to teach him. Except for home schooling my own child, I also provide tutorials for new immigrant children. I hope to explore more about other resources that California State schools use for k1-3 children. So far, I know that Wonders series by McGraw Hill is widely used, apart from that, what other English literacy materials or publishers are popular among schools in California? Teachers from other state are welcome to leave comments, too.
    Your help will be highly appreciated. I hope to help immigrant children to adapt into the American system as much as I can. Thank you.

3. Jesse

Jesse New Member

Jun 27, 2020

Hi Elise! Welcome to the US, we are happy you're here!

I teach special education, grades K-2, so I am definitely familiar with working with readers who are at the pre-k or K literacy level and need additional support or interventions to engage them. I think one of the best things you can do for your son is find resources and make up activities that are related to his interests or tied to your home country/culture to help engage him in addition to the materials you are using for him. I love adding in whole-body activities like dancing and singing for learning things like sight words (high-frequency words that kids will see/hear often in English) and it's so fun for the kids.

Here are a few free resources I think would be great to add:

:heavycheck: youtube. com/watch?v=gIZjrcG9pW0 (Sight Word Song/Dance)

:heavycheck: starfall. com (lots of fun reading activities and lessons with fun colors, characters, stories, and more)

Here is a link to a little bit more reading on how to help support your son in learning English and strengthening his literacy skills by connecting to things he already knows (his interest, his culture, his likes, etc.--

:heavycheck: edutopia. org/article/activating-prior-knowledge-english-language-learners

I hope this helps :)