Price Adjustments After Shopping

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 7, 2011

I've been shopping a LOT since the summer & I was always aware that if you bring in your receipt w/i so many days if the item's on sale, you can get a price adjustment. Yes, it can be time consuming, but I've been doing that lately since I have some time to kill lately. I get most things on sale anyway, but at Macy's for example, I got back $20 from stuff that went on sale even more since I bought them. Hey, $20 is $20! :)

Do you make a habit of doing this?

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 7, 2011

Nope.

I figure if I was willing to buy it at the cost it was offered, I don't need to waste my time trying to get money back.

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 7, 2011

I have never thought about it. I do know that I have shopped at a few places where the clerk has told me an item will be on sale next week and to come back to get a refund. I never have. But most stores around me are a 30-40 mile drive one way, so it isn't usually worth the time or effort.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 7, 2011

I will often ask for a price match at the time, but not later. I live in a rural area. I am 20 miles from Wal-Mart, and 50 miles from other stores. In most cases, it wouldn't be worth it to drive to the store.

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2011

I wonder about the walmart commercial that says they will match any price and you don't need the ad. Has anyone tried that? Do they really believe you? I feel like you could just make up any price.

7. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 7, 2011

I do that on Black Friday. I take Target Toys r us, and other stores and do most of my shopping at Walmart. I hate shopping there but I will then.

8. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Sep 7, 2011

We did a price match on black Friday at Walmart. The only thing they said that we had to wait until the sales would have started in the other stores. Since both sales started at 5a.m. in both the other stores we were looking at buying the things from (the lines were insane and wrapped around the store!) we sat in walmart for an hour. But, we were able to hold our items so we only had to pay for them when 5a.m. came around.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2011

I don't think I've ever done an after-the-fact price adjustment. It's just not something I've thought about. Plus it seems like it would be a lot of work. I'd rather just wait for a good sale and get a good price the first time around. :)

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 7, 2011

Yeah, I have time to kill lately, so IF I have time to kill & IF I have my receipts w/ me, then OK, but to go out of my way, especially in this sweltering weather my area's been having lately, uh no.

Nordstrom does price matching. I found some Teva sandals at a cheaper price on this one website & called Nordstrom, gave them the other site & Nordstrom gave me the lower price. And why not just buy from that cheaper site you may ask? Because the cheaper site didn't have the color I wanted...Nordstrom did. :)

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2011

I have never gotten a price adjustment.

It would take time I simply don't have.

As you know from the Christmas shopping thread, I shop the sales and keep my eyes on bargains. But once I've bought it, I'm done.

12. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2011

Yes, but mostly for big things.

I watched the price of my new stove like a hawk after I got it... and got an adjustment for almost $200!

Yes, it took time to go back to Sears. But that 30 minutes was so worth it!

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 7, 2011

When I worked there every few stations had all the sale ads from the paper clipped together on a ring.

As to the OP, I think I recall doing that once...but it's been many years ago.

It's not as though it takes a great deal of time. Go to the service desk or register with your receipt and in a couple minutes you have cash in your hand (or money refunded to your card). When you're talking ten, twenty, thirty dollars, it's worth the time if you're already going out.

14. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 7, 2011

The only thing I did that with is our fridge. We needed it to be delivered on a certain day and the next day they were having a sale, so my husband took the receipt and they gave us back the difference. This was a Sears appliance store and they would have also honored any sale prices from other stores.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 7, 2011

I shop at Wal-Mart most of the time because at 20 miles away, it's still the closest store. I look through the sale papers from the other stores and make a list. I try to get the clerks who know me because they know I've done my homework. Some of the newer ones will me show them the ad.

16. Joy

Joy Cohort

Sep 7, 2011

I didn't know that you could do that. I always assumed you would have to return the item and then buy it back again at the lower price. Now that I know about it, I think I'll start doing it. I always feel annoyed when I buy something on sale only to find it marked down even more a week later.

I have done comparison shopping. I've noticed that alot of times wal-mart has already marked their prices down a few cents more that week though. I think they are able to look at other store's sales ads early or something.

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 9, 2011

I bought some jeans at Macy's recently & they were on sale, but now there's a $10 off coupon! Hey, that's still $10 that can be back in my pocket! :mad:

18. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Sep 9, 2011

Never have and never will. I figure that I made the purchase at a price I was happy with or I would not have bought the item. I am really surprised that a store would do this.

Let's say you have a tutoring business. You charge a client $50 an hour, then, for whatever reason, reduce the price to $40 for a period of time. Are you going to give the first client back $10 because they know now that you're only charging $40?

19. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2011

No I wouldn't but I would return something that has been reduced. One time there was a blouse that I liked, so I was going to buy it in two colors. One was higher than the other. The clerk said it was because of the color, so I waited about two weeks &bought the other. I compare shop often.

20. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 9, 2011

I have done the ad match quite a few times. One Walmart I frequented would actually display the ads for you. That was nice! I have never price adjusted but my father has, particularly on electronics.

21. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 10, 2011

:agreed:

I don't shop often enough to see things go on sale shortly after I have purchased them.

22. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Sep 10, 2011

I only take back receipts to BB and B when I didn't have my coupons with me to get money back!

23. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 10, 2011

If it was a big ticket item and I just accidentally find out it's on sale, then I would but if I just bought a stove or something it would be doubtful that I'd go to the store or pay attention to sales.

I just don't have the time.

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 10, 2011

If that person WANTS to make that their policy & if a previous customer asks, I guess so. If the tutor doesn't want to do that, they won't. Just like stores will either do it or they won't. Many do though. Bath & Bodyworks does it too BTW.

But, like I said already, I won't go out of my way to do it because the gas it takes to drive back just for that will almost even it out. If I'm already there & happen to have the reciept(s) in my purse, then I might.

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2011

I do not ever have the receipts in my purse.

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2011

Me neither. I'm a good shopper, shop the sales, buy things I love but I don't shop very often. I toss receipts when I get home except for big appliances and technology. I don't have the time or inclination to price check everything after the fact or chase down price adjustments.

27. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Sep 11, 2011

I hate shopping. I shop only when I really have to, and don't want to go back for a while!

28. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2011

I don't. I try to do most of my "big" shopping Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends... so I'm already getting a great deal :)

29. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2011

Being retired I shop a lot (not buy a lot) I have found out that many stores will give the competitor's price and then an extra 10%...
    Lowes did it for me when I took a picture on my cell phone of the Home Depot price ticket, saved me over $25.

I also found that if you are organized they might take an extra % off.
    When you come to the cashier have the other ad ready as the cashier gets to each item. I know I hate to be behind someone that has to look through 3 or 4 ad sheets to find the price. I have found saying something cheerful to the cashier when they greet you makes more willing to tell you about the ads and savings.