Prevocational/Transition SPED Curriculum

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by cutNglue, Nov 7, 2013.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 7, 2013

Either I'm not using the correct term or it's just hidden in the depths of Internet world. I need some resources.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2013

Have you looked at careercruiser.com?

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2013

I wish I could help, but this is way out of my experience. Hope you can find what you're looking for.

5. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Nov 7, 2013

What kinds of kiddos?

Significantly impaired? Or independent/competitive employment type kids?

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 7, 2013

This is adults with developmental disabilities. Their functional and cognitive abilities vary widely. I need a starting point to find curriculums. It does not have to be for adults. Most of them are not independent employment type but we do have a few that are.

7. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Nov 7, 2013

If this is for adults, they are probably already getting services through a state agency. In California we have Regional Center which provides job training,community involvement and residential services for adults with disabilities. We also have what is called the Department of Rehabilitation, which provides a job counseling services and job training or appropriate referrals. You may want to individually question the adults in your class as to what service provider they are working with. If they are not connected to a service provider similar to the ones I've mentioned, I recommend you call your county and find out what agencies are available for them.

Once you've determined the agency they are affiliated with, perhaps you could coordinate your training with what they are currently working toward.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 7, 2013

I am the service provider but it is so new we need resources. That's why I am asking. Most have resume, etc. type support around here but as a day habilitation program, we want to do more.

We are already doing a lot but we are pulling it out of out wazoo. We need resources hence addressing the question here.

9. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 8, 2013

Perhaps contact sheltered workshops in your area and ask them what kind of work they have their employees do, and make activities for your students to do, if they are at a level where they would require a sheltered workshop versus independent employment.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 8, 2013

We have a sheltered workshop environment. We are looking to add a different component not found in our competition in this area. I do have some tours set up next month for places in other areas though I do not know what they offer.

I've tried asking this question in different formats on here and I'm not getting a response to my specific question. I have something in particular I'm looking to find. I just can't seem to hit the right jackpot yet.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 8, 2013

Do you do any community service work? (PM me if you want a list of activities...I will check the vocational checklist when I get to school). We do that and also "work" in the classroom on various pre-vocational activities (we have tasks kits, etc.).

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

13. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Nov 15, 2013

Unique Learning System has a transition curriculum. N2y.com
    There are parts of it I love and parts I don't.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2013

Cut, I'm totally out of the special ed world.

Could you explain to me what it is you want? For "prevocational"-- does that mean job applications, getting along in a work enviornment type of stuff?

What do you mean by "transitional"-- transitioning from a school enviornment to a work one??

15. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 15, 2013

That's what i'm assuming by transitional, Alice, as at age 14/when they enter HS, all students with IEPs must begin the process of transitioning. Some schools like to start out by figuring out what the student wants to do after HS, others will help them gear their courses towards what they want to do or help them enroll in vocational school.

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 15, 2013

I looked up some tasks from my previous school and this is what we did:

File index cards in alphabetical order (someone's name, a company, etc.)
    Fold paper and insert in envelopes
    Practice place settings at a table (set up a table like a restaurant)
    Get a collection of empty food or detergent boxes/bottles and have students sort on a shelf by catergory.
    Fill pencil cases with 1 of each item (pencil, highlighter, glue stick, scissors, etc.).
    Lots of objects can be matched/sorted and be considered pre-vocational