Previous Teacher Intruding in Classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Trendy_Teacher, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Trendy_Teacher

Trendy_Teacher Rookie

Aug 25, 2011

Has anyone ever had a problem with a previous teacher coming into their classroom "at-will?" The previous teacher came into my class and made plans with my "aide" to come back, not even consulting with me. The aide acts funny when the old teacher comes into the class, too. The previous teacher has no children who attend the school, no reason to be there, and is very rude to me, trying to tell me what to do with the class. I don't mind advice, but not from pushy people who act like I don't know what I'm doing (she rolls her eyes if I say something about what I am going to do). Should I talk to my principal about this? I get that she was this "wonderful teacher who was there for 1000 years," but I need room to grow and fit in at my school and I can't do that with her hanging around trying to make me feel inferior. What to do?

3. america82099

america82099 Rookie

Aug 25, 2011

Well, I last year I took over for a teacher that was moved to a different campus the room was left in a disaster. This year she was moved back to this campus (in a different room). She has come to take, or borrow, things in my room. At first I didn't mind because my room was overstuffed, and it was stuff I didn't use, but now it is starting to get annoying. This was all stuff she abandoned the year before, some of it belongs to the room, not her personally.

4. Trendy_Teacher

Trendy_Teacher Rookie

Aug 25, 2011

Ugh. I'm so frustrated about this! I hate conflict, but it's like she is just trying to be resentful towards me.

5. Joy

Joy Cohort

Aug 25, 2011

Why is she there? Does she still work at the school?

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2011

I think that you should talk to your principal and ask for some direction.

7. Trendy_Teacher

Trendy_Teacher Rookie

Aug 25, 2011

Joy, she doesn't even work here anymore, and she has no kids who attend the school! So, IDK why she feels like she can come into my class like this. It's kinda scary.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2011

I understand. I read your original post. Still, talk to the principal and let him/her know what's going on so that he/she can address the situation.

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 25, 2011

Non employes are allowed to wander around the school? Yikes. I would definitely take that up with the principal.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2011

Talk to the principal.

11. Southernese

Southernese Rookie

Aug 25, 2011

That's a really uncomfortable situation. It sounds like she doesn't know what to do with herself. I'm assuming she's retired.

12. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 25, 2011

Yes, talk to the principal. Most schools would not allow people to wander around the building. ;) The person I replaced is now a permanent sub in the building. There have been some issues as I try to make changes in the way the program is run. Her friends have taught with her for 20 plus years and chat about decisions I make. I had a professional day and she was scheduled to be the sub in my room by our automatic sub system. I freaked out & called the person in charge of subs (our asst. super.). I explained the situation & she took her completely off my sub list so she'll never be put in my room. :D I think principals & people who do the hiring/ changing of positions assume that people will be respectful & professional about things. That, however, is not always the case.

13. Joy

Joy Cohort

Aug 26, 2011

I would talk to the principal and if she comes in again, I would tell her the way that it is. She has no business coming in and interrupting YOUR class no matter what she previously did at the school.

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2011

I agree with the other posters.Talk to the P. and let him know that if she comes in again, you will politely ask her to leave and will call the office if she refuses. She must be having a really hard time developing outside hobbies now that she is retired, but that's no excuse for her being on campus.

15. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 26, 2011

Or talk to her & tell her that if she keeps coming into your room you are going to assume that she is there to volunteer her help. Therefore, she must talk to you about it BEFORE coming in & you will have a set job for her to do. Then put her to work making copies, tearing out workbooks, putting together a project or book, or some other mundane job that won't put YOUR authority at risk.

But I agree with the others. . . talk to your P. If she's coming into the building, she needs to be signing in & getting a visitor's pass (or whatever your school's policy is) and acting like a parent volunteer.

16. daisy11

daisy11 Rookie

Aug 27, 2011

I would talk to the principal and let him/her know that you don't feel confortable with that person comming around to your classroom.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2011

I would absolutely speak to the principal if an unauthorized person was anywhere in the school, much less in my classroom.

18. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2011

She is obviously having a hard time letting go and you will need to set boundaries. We have an ex-teacher in the preschool who will come in to "visit" and interrupt the new teacher's circle, redirect kids, overrule the current teacher, etc. It is totally rude and at one point the new teacher exploded when she had enough! The ex teacher was going to be a sub but, luckily, the director had enough common sense to realize it was a bad idea.

19. DOBY

DOBY Rookie

Aug 27, 2011

No matter what you do, don't talk to her. I wouldn't to avoid such negative confrontations. Its your word against hers. I would definitely talk to the Principal instead. Let her handle it + it will be documented that the P. has knowledge of her presence in school.

20. patsfan82

patsfan82 Rookie

Aug 27, 2011

I agree

I agree with previous posters...talk to your principal! At my school, almost nobody can get past the office to a classroom without previously made arrangements. I am very surprised that this is happening to you.