Previous jobs

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by tiki7719, Apr 10, 2008.

1. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Apr 10, 2008

Did a job that you held prior to becoming a teacher help you get the job? Or, do you think it gave you an advantage over the other candidate(s)?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2008

I don't think my previous jobs have directly led to me getting the other jobs, but any teaching experience gives you an edge over candidates that don't have that.

I just found out that my DD is requiring all employees to be ESL certified, and that candidates that already have this certification will have the upper hand.

4. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Apr 10, 2008

What is DD?

5. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 10, 2008

Dream District

6. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2008

I don't think any job that I've had, including subbing helped me get a job. I think having teaching experience helped me get my second teaching position.

7. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 10, 2008

I think it could really be an asset. I started out subbing for a district. I received many compliments, which lead to a instructional aide position. I then worked with two specific grade levels that really felt I was an asset to their teams. That lead me to getting my first position teaching. But, it was the quality of my work that gave me the advantage along with being in the school. I interviewed with other in-building candidates, but new I was getting the position because the teachers all wanted me on the team over the other candidates. So, yes previous jobs helped me get into a teaching position, but only because I did them well.

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2008

I don't know if anything really helped me land a job...I was a lifeguard and swim instructor, a tutor for a hs blind student when I was in hs, and I worked at a nursery school.

I think one of the things that helped me land my first job was my spunk...I showed up to the school in my suit (in August) with my portfolio hoping to talk to the principal (without a scheduled interview). Next day, he called to offer me the job!

For the second job (current one) it was all about who I knew...I kept in touch with people from the district where I student taught, especially the administrators in central office. Then I got an interview and had the job.

9. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 10, 2008

I was a sub for 6 months, and before that I worked in a vet clinic! hehe

10. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Apr 11, 2008

This is how I got the job where I'm at now (I'm a paralegal). You have guts to do it that way :)

11. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 11, 2008

My previous job dealt in education and training of firemen :2up: and police officers. Luckily it could still be classified as the education industry and I could build on it. It didn't have anything to do with me getting a sub job or a long term sub job.

But, while I was at a job fair this year, my former job helped me with the career changer questions and my long term subbing definitely helped me get the interviews I got. In fact, one of the questions the schools would ask was if I had long term sub experience.

When I get a teaching job, I will say that yes my subbing helped me get a teaching job. :up: But as of right now I can only say it helped me get interviews.:mellow:

Lemon

12. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Apr 11, 2008

Lemonhead,

When you say "long term sub" position, what would you consider long term? Something as short as a maternity leave in some cases (6 or so weeks) or a whole semester/quarter?

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2008

Maternity leave is considered a long term assignment here.

14. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 11, 2008

Mine was only 7 weeks but they didn't need to know that. :) Mine was for maternity leave.

15. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Apr 11, 2008

I was a summer instructional assistant for 3 or 4 summers while in college(can't even remember it seems so long ago!) working with Autistic children(manynonverbal- worked on basic academic and life skills) in the Extended School Year program. I really thinked this help me land my job. Also, when I was having my final interview with the assis. super he wanted to talk a lot about that job, since he had a AS teaching background.