Pretty Sure I got a sub fired today...

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by ChemTeachBHS, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Apr 25, 2013

I was out yesterday because my husband is having surgery. I left worksheets and instructions on top of my desk. I got a call from my co teacher that he was having issues with the sub they sent. When she came in she proceeded to try to get into my locked file cabinet because she wanted a projector to show the kids a lesson she prepared. She said she had a science background. He told her no and just to follow the lesson plans. He got called to the afternoon CST and had to leave the room. She went on and did an unauthorized chemistry experiment with them! The remains of the experiment were left in my sink for me to find this morning! She didn't use any safety equipment because "it's not toxic" is what she said. I had to report it because I'm going to be out for a few more days and don't want her in my classroom anymore. I reported it to the person in charge of assigning subs and she sent it to the assistant super. We both got called in and this woman was in tears. Part of me feels badly because I believe her intentions were good but the other part says she overstepped and did something potentially dangerous. Did I do the right thing?

3. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Apr 25, 2013

Heck yeah you did the right thing.
    Subs are supposed to do what you leave them. She didn't and on top of that she decided to leave you a huge mess to clean up.

4. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2013

Yes, you did the right thing.

Well meaning is irrelevant. She is paid to do a job which requires her giving the lesson you left. Not only did she ignore what you left, she also ignored the co-teacher's insistence to teach what you left.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 25, 2013

You did the right thing. Whatever consequences she is facing are due to her own decisions and actions.

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2013

You did the right thing!

7. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 25, 2013

I think you handled it perfectly...she screwed up. She better pray that future employers don't hear about this. She in my opinion was wrong on several accounts...unsafe lab conditions, leaving a mess in the room, not following lesson plans, not following the direct orders of a teacher, and probably so many more!

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 25, 2013

I cannot fathom doing what she did when I was still subbing. You follow the lesson plans, even if you think you know more than the lesson plans allow you to do. That way, you aren't messing up the rhythm of the class.

9. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Apr 25, 2013

Is she trying to get a job in your school or something? Maybe she thought she would wow everyone with an awesome chemistry lesson.

Very bad decision on her part though. You certainly did the right thing.

10. itsGrape

itsGrape Rookie

Apr 25, 2013

Only LTS should have the expectation to provide lessons.

Some one-day subs MAY have to come up with a lesson in a very rare emergency.

I could see her going in and hoping to 'have time' to show the kids something cool... but to be told NOT to do it and do it anyways, without any safety equip and to leave a mess... is pretty darn bad. You did the right thing.

11. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Apr 25, 2013

You definately did the right thing. What if she had hurt one of the kids? It makes me cringe when I think of all the things that could've gone wrong. I mean I could see if you taught primary and maybe you said to read "the Grouchy Ladybug" and the sub opted to read "Curious George Goes to Camp". A little annoying, but not a huge deal. And don't get me started in her trying to get the projector out! Under no circumstances should a sub be going through a teacher's stuff!!!

The only exception I could see is if a child was injured and she needed the first aid kit, but even then that's ONLY in an emergency or lockdown mode. If a kid falls and scrapes their knee, we're supposed to send them to the nurse.

And I thought I had weird subs...(I feel bad saying this but my first thought when she said, "I have a background in science" was "Well why aren't you a regular teacher then?" Then I thought, "Okay Em, that's mean. Maybe she's retired. Or lost her certification. Or is working on her certification. STILL, if you want that kind of control, you need to be a longterm sub or a full time teacher)

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2013

Right thing. But I do NOT agree with calling you into the meeting.

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 25, 2013

The last time I had a sub, she wrote me a note on one of my "fancy" post-its (I have personalized ones that I ordered from Vista Print). Those are in one of my bottom desk drawers with all my other personalized things. Kinda made me wonder why she was rummaging through my desk if I left her a set of the regular yellow post-its... :confused:

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2013

Some people... :rolleyes:

15. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Apr 25, 2013

I had a sub eat my peanut m&m's which were well hidden in my bottom desk drawer. She had to have been digging around to find them she even left the empty wrapper on my desk!
    She could have eaten anything else, and I wouldn't have been half as upset! Don't mess with my peanut m&m's!!!!!

16. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Apr 25, 2013

Just send her a fruit basket as an apology for getting her fired, and all will be well.

17. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Apr 25, 2013

I had the pleasure of coming back from a field trip to be told by my sub that she left BROKEN GLASS from a test tube on the floor because she couldn't find a broom and didn't know who to ask. I was happy I was able to meet with her before I left and explain the lab (nothing major- measuring volume of colored water into test tubes), but who leaves broken glass on the floor with children around???

I didn't say anything to my P about it, but if I find out that she's subbing for me again I'm going to be like NO to my AP who handles subs.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 25, 2013

You didn't get her fired...she did that to herself.

I would have just requested she not sub for me again. I only ask that subs follow my carefully prepared plans.

19. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Apr 25, 2013

I get what your saying here. I know it must be hard for credentialed teachers to have to sub but when they are subbing they aren't teachers. They are hired to do the lessons that the teacher leaves behind. If they want to do their own thing then they need to wait until they have their own classroom. I realize that LTS sub assignments are different, but if its just a daily sub then they need to follow the lesson left behind.

20. Batman15

Batman15 Rookie

Apr 25, 2013

thats beat she got fired....She was probably just wanted to teach instead of having the kids do busy work nothing wrong with that in my book.....but hey after being told specifically not too is where she went wrong

21. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Apr 25, 2013

What? That makes absolutely no sense to me. Send a present to a sub that deliberately defied instructions from a teacher, ignored a lead teacher's lesson plans and endangered students during her stay?

22. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Apr 25, 2013

You're right---cash would probably be more useful to her.

23. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Apr 25, 2013

Reading everyone pile on with their unrelated anecdotes, my question is: What do we expect? After all, they aren't one of us (teachers)? They're so stupid and irresponsible.

24. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 25, 2013

We don't know the full story. The fact that this sub was called in a meeting over this indicates to me that they may have had problems with her before.
    All the OP did was letting them know that this sub shouldn't be allowed to sub there again, and gave the reasons. That's perfectly normal, not mean and not out of the ordinary. Normally a sub doesn't get fired over that. The fact they made a bigger deal out of it is probably due to previous probkems.

25. microbe

microbe Comrade

Apr 25, 2013

I have a background in science, and I have been trained to teach secondary science (degree in secondary education in biology with a minor in chemistry). I'm a sub because I wanted more experience in the classroom before becoming a full time teacher. Just because we're subs doesn't mean that we aren't real teachers. :p

26. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Apr 25, 2013

All you did was your job to tell the truth. It isn't your fault that this sub made some bad decisions. Not your fault, not your fault, not your fault. :)

27. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Apr 25, 2013

Wow! That IS harsh! :mad:

We've had subs who lost their fulltime position due to budget cuts, which resulted in staff reductions, and these folks want to stay in the field they spent all their time and money training for. By subbing, they're hoping to keep their name in front of some of these school districts so that when things open up enough, maybe they can land a fulltime job again.

28. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Apr 25, 2013

hmmm, not here, they aren't. They are SUBS. Not considered teachers but instead a warm body there to babysit. You don't even have to have a high school diploma - a GED will suffice. No college degree and definitely no teaching credentials.

29. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Apr 25, 2013

I completely understand why a credentialed teacher would want to sub. I still don't think its ok for them to go into someone elses classroom and teach whatever they want while they are there. What if you were going to be out for a day and decided to leave a test or project for students to complete while you were gone. Then you get back and the teacher decided to conduct their own science experiment and left you a mess to clean up?

Just because someone is a teacher doesn't mean that when they are subbing they should get to pick what the students learn that day. At least that is how I feel, you may disagree.

30. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 25, 2013

Well, in a lot of areas subs have to have a Bacheror's degree to be able to sub.
    Also, subs are often (if not most of the time) sub because they'd love to be full time teachers, but there aren't enough jobs, too much competition. It's not like the don't want to teach.
    In 2 years I have only met 2 subs who don't want to teach, they're just doing it because it's a job, they enjoy it and enjoy some of the benefits (felxible schedule, no after work demands such as planning, etc).

31. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 25, 2013

My reaction to this matter was as a former substitute (I always preferred the term Gypsy Educator). If the teacher knew me well enough and knew I would be the one covering, he or she would give me latitude. One teacher simply gave me the standards to cover and left it up to me. Wow!

However, if there was a lesson plan in place, I knew it was my job to teach the heck out of that lesson plan, even if it was simply ensuring the students completed an assignment. That lesson plan fit in with the larger plans for the week. If I had decided to do my own thing, the students in my care would be a deficit upon the classroom teacher's return. That onus would have been on me, as it is now on the substitute in question.

32. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Apr 25, 2013

No one is saying a sub should be able to go into another teacher's room and rearrange plans... certainly not a test or project. However--Em_Catz's comment, along with everyone else's willingness to share their stories about the inept and unworthy sub, shows how they view sub teachers in general. After all, when we see similar stories about a teacher who screws up, people don't jump over themselves to relate negative stories about teachers in their own experience.

33. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 25, 2013

I've never heard that term before (Gypsy Educator). Make me smile! :D

34. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Apr 25, 2013

Absolutely!

35. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Apr 25, 2013

Interesting that some have the belief that "following the notes the teacher left" and "being a teacher" are completely independent of one another. Naturally they are not exactly the same (hence the pay difference, hence the different job descriptions, etc...!).

And yes, there are plenty of subs out there that might just "babysit". But to say all subs aren't teachers? A generalization that is plainly not true.

(note that "following the notes the teacher left" can vary widely - some classes I sub in, I follow very specific notes, but most teachers, especially those that know me, give the general plans but allow for complete creative freedom..then there are naturally times when it was an emergency, and I develop many of the plans myself)

36. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2013

I didn't read all the comments... but.... WOW! smh I couldn't imagine doing that as a sub!

37. bison

bison Habitué

Apr 25, 2013

I don't think this is the case. If someone were to share, say, a story about a bad experience they had in a coffee shop, others would be likely to chime in with their own bad coffee shop experiences. Doesn't mean they don't like coffee shops, it's just a natural way to have a conversation. I'm sure the majority of reasonable people on here can agree that there are both wonderful subs and fairly incompetent subs out there. I know I've seen both in action, although the incompetent ones have been fairly unusual. I do think the comments about them not being teachers are unfair. Even subbing jobs are in demand here, and they certainly don't just hire any warm body. Most here either can't find teaching jobs due the horrible job market here or used to have their own classes and no longer do for various reasons.

Back to the topic at hand, I almost feel like this sub just didn't understand how the whole system works. I could see an overly eager grad from a teaching program thinking they need to try to teach kids an engaging, hands-on lesson every time they're in a school, not having a clue that subbing is mainly following a teacher's directions. I can't think of any other reasoning that makes sense! Either way, I think you did the right thing. I do think it makes sense to call you in, just so the sub knows exactly what to do differently in a future. Maybe she'll have a chance to change her methods in different schools.

38. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Apr 25, 2013

Great post. :thumb:

39. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2013

I thin you did the right thing. I would never have done that when I subbed. At the end of the daybit's her actions that have caused this, not you reporting her.

40. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 26, 2013

Here (NJ) you have to have at least 60 college credits to be a sub.

So you have to have two years of college education minimum.

41. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 26, 2013

California state law specifies that a substitute must have a bachelor's degree and a passing score on CBEST, but individual districts are at liberty to be more restrictive, and there are certainly districts that won't add to their substitute pools anyone who doesn't have a full credential.

Smart teachers regard skilled substitute teachers - I quite like cat's term "Gypsy Educator" - as being worth approximately the school office's weight in premium chocolate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.