Pretty much giving up

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by candyapple, Jun 29, 2021.

1. candyapple

candyapple Rookie

Jun 29, 2021

When is it time to call it quits? I have been trying for five years to get a job and finally latched on to several long term positions with a good district. The supervisors, principals and my co-workers all were appreciative of my hard work and had nothing but positive accolades. When the time came for two positions in the middle school where I was at, I got an interview and made it through the second panel interview. They went exceptionally well and my supervisors especially were pulling for me and felt confident I would get the job. Well went to the third interview with the superintendent and assistant supe. It was ten minutes with three general questions (nothing like the other two.) Everyone still thought I would get one of the jobs but as it turns out, I did not. I am beyond devastated. With all these people (and higher ups) on my side and I still didn't get the jobs, I realize what I have known all along.

Time to move on folks. Time to move on:(:(

3. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Jun 29, 2021

We all have to pay the bills. I don't know about calling anything quits. But clearly, cast the net wider. Teaching jobs could still be in a larger geographic area (?), and with jobs in other careers...

4. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Jun 29, 2021

It took me to my 5th year trying to land a classroom job. I'd been in ed the whole time, but no teacher-of-record positions. What worked for me was what CaliforniaRPCV suggested, casting a wider net. I moved states and got a job my first year trying in that state. All was well and I was going to be rehired. . . and then covid. Sat out a year and I'm back on the hunt again now.
    If it were me, I'd not give up yet, but also be applying for positions where an education background is useful, for example, being a corporate trainer or try a CC if you have a masters.

5. Caballo21

Caballo21 Rookie

Jul 2, 2021

First of all, congratulations on making it to the third round!! That's a huge deal, and they were seriously considering you. I've been there. Keep trying. Write down every question they asked you in interviews, and all questions you might anticipate. Practice answering them for the next one. Interview as much as you can until you get the job. It's exhausting, but you will grow from each time you put yourself out there and try.

6. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2021

If you want to teach and can move, I'd recommend moving. I started my career in a time and place where teaching jobs were very scarce and there were tons of teachers. On top of that, they had hiring quotas making it almost impossible to get a job even with excellent references. I moved to a state that needed teachers, had an excellent experience, and ended up doing about half of my career there. Once I had a lot of experience, teaching references, and accomplishments, more jobs opened up in the state I had originally wanted to work. I ended up close to where I started. :) Over the years, I have run into tons of people that stayed in this area and gave up on teaching after trying to get in the system for years. So....if you really want to teach, moving is the way to go imo. Also, going to a state that needed teachers was a very positive experience. They let me choose my grade level and never moved me without asking how I felt about it. After teaching in both places, the needy state treated teachers with much more respect than the place that had an abundance of teachers. In the district with an abundance of applicants, you were easily replaceable and always knew it. Good luck!

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 4, 2021

Every Texas teacher group I’m in on Facebook has posts begging for applicants.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  8. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2021

That’s exactly why I am here. I’m going to post about my district needing teachers. West Texas kinda isolated but there is a Walmart and possibly teacher housing.

Tired Teacher likes this.