Pressure to Pass Students

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrTempest, May 18, 2021.

1. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

May 18, 2021

I was wondering as we near the end of this irregular school year, is anyone getting pressure by admin to pass more students who in the past would have likely failed? I just wanted to see what you all had to say.

3. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

May 18, 2021

We have been Distance Learning all year and are having conversations about being more generous than usual. Admin is not pushing too hard, mostly these are departmental and curricular team conversations.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    MrTempest likes this.
  4. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

May 18, 2021

Last year we weren't allowed to fail any students for 4th quarter. This year, we haven't been given any of those stipulations, but we have also been in person all year.

MrTempest likes this.
  5. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

May 23, 2021

I have a student who was virtual until February. She has no skills past March 6 of last year. ( our virtual teacher is well kinda a joke but I wont get into that) Anyway I was asking about retaining her and really no response other than we can look at her later. We just got done dyslexia testing and guess what, she popped, but when they did that testing they determined that she needs further SPED testing. Sooo there goes my retention idea.

6. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

May 23, 2021

Our principal will go into the system and change grades so kids who haven't done anything will pass, so why fail anyone?

MrTempest likes this.
  7. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

May 24, 2021

Self respect. Ethics.
    The system will track who changes the grade. If anyone decides there will be an audit in the future, it will be clear that admin made the changes and the teachers were still had credibility and ethics.

MrTempest likes this.
  8. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

May 24, 2021

We were point-blank told by our admin that if we "unjustly" fail anyone they will find an error on our part, change the grade to passing, and put a letter of directive in our file.

9. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

May 24, 2021

I have no doubt that some admins work that way. Just think if all teachers would band together for written clarification as to what is considered "unjust" and "just" failings and get it documented. All sign on to a communication asking for clarification.

The only way to combat such admins is to get their threats recorded in some manner and back them into the corner. Sadly, getting co-workers to do so is the hardest part.

Last edited: May 24, 2021
    creativemonster likes this.
  10. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

May 24, 2021

Sweet

MrTempest likes this.
  11. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

May 25, 2021

Exactly why I believe that states with teacher unions have schools that perform better. I myself am not privileged to live in such a state.

creativemonster likes this.
  12. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

May 25, 2021

13. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

May 26, 2021

Well, most of our students failed their end of year tests but that was going to happen with or without covid. The great news is that they're getting promoted!

14. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

May 30, 2021

Interesting to think - when I did my credentialing program there was very very little discussion of grading - neither philosophy - the purposes/ the uses, nor the bolts - how to. I just kinda picked it up along the way. Every single year I tend to tweak both. This year I hit upon a whole system that worked for me. (that's a LOOOONG answer for some other time) Perhaps overgenerous to the students, but I'm not sure about that. Depends on long term, what purpose might the grade serve to the student? And am I grading their actual abilities, or their work habits? And what other feedback have we been able to share all semester...so much goes into such a seemingly "simple" thing. And yeah, if I ever found out my principal was going in and changing that feedback, I might have to leave my school. That's a huge issue to me.
    This year I asked my students if we should have grading in HS (I teach 9-12) they had very mixed answers with the higher level students mostly saying no. The students who have histories of lower grades ALL said yes - they mentioned it as a motivator. So I am left with the question of how to turn those students into intrinsically motivated learners...I don't know the answer. (...yet)

And my school was walloped by this virus. For the students who shared with me specific ways it interfered (including at least one parent death) I did grade differently. And yes, I know that next year we will be reteaching a LOT more than usual. Perhaps some of the learning we did this year will look different than past learnings and though different than our standards, might be super important in the long run to take time to point out as we move forward.
    Back to original issue - I'm with you - not admin's place to make those decisions. I'm so sorry for any of us who are dealing with that. My district talks out their bottom sides about "fairness, justice, and equity," and then they pull power games like that. and I'm in a union. I have not experienced it personally, but have heard the tales. I send sympathy growls.

MrTempest and a2z like this.
  15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 30, 2021

I just sent a BUNCH of assignments back to a student because they are unacceptable. Participation is not enough in my estimation.

MrTempest likes this.