Pressure to Have a Pinterest Classroom?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, May 30, 2017.

1. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 13, 2017

Not to imply that it is a man vs. woman thing, but (as a man), I think I get a lot of leeway in how my class looks. If I was a woman, I think I would get a lot more comments about the lack of decor (i.e. color) on my walls. I'm also a relative mess when it comes to my organization (something I do plan on working on next year). I also think it is refreshing, in that it shows that not everyone has to have a classroom that looks Pinterest-worthy.

blazer, MetalTeacher and mathmagic like this.
  2. novaguy1968

novaguy1968 MS English Educator

Jun 30, 2017

I'm curious about the rationale behind the color schemes, etc.

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 30, 2017

Bright colors and typical teacher store decor are considered too distracting and detrimental to the learning environment.

It's actually quite refreshing. We don't do bulletin boards, like most schools do - no borders, no butcher paper. Everything on the wall is expected to serve a purpose. We don't hang inspirational store-bought posters. We only hang the anchor charts we make with our students and some student work. We can have decorative items, but they are expected to be nature-inspired and/or related to curriculum, and they must be of high enough quality that you'd be willing to display them in your home.

I was a bit skeptical at first, but, I have to say, after the initial stress of setting up the room for the first time, I've come to appreciate how I am able to focus more energy on teaching and building relationships with my students rather than having to expend energy on constantly recreating contrived bulletin boards that lack purpose. And, while my classroom is organized and set up like a classroom, it's not at all distracting or "busy" with patterns or irrelevant themes. It's calming and allows my students and me to focus on what really matters.

novaguy1968 and MissScrimmage like this.
  4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 1, 2017

I am planning on going more in this direction when I go back to my own classroom. I like the idea of co-constructing the decor to make it relevant to students.

novaguy1968 likes this.
  5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 1, 2017

Yes, it's so much more meaningful when they've had a part in creating the posters that hang on the wall. We always start the year with completely blank wall (with a few notable exceptions, like the class schedule, school-wide character values, and the fire escape plan hung on the wall). Then we add classroom management anchor charts that we create with our students in the first few weeks of school. As the year goes on, we rotate in and out different curriculum anchor charts that we create with the students. I keep a pocket chart stand with just rings on it in the back of my classroom, where I store old anchor charts once they've been taken down from the wall, which allows students who still need them to access them from time-to-time. This past year, I kept a lot of anchor charts up, so much so that it almost seemed like anchor chart wallpaper on some walls. When I finally took them all down during state testing week, once of my students remarked how overwhelming the room had seemed with the wallpaper of anchor charts. So, this coming year, my goal is to be much more selective about what I leave up and what I take down. I want everything on the wall to serve a purpose and be used by the students. If it's not, then it needs to come down!

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 1, 2017

One of my coworkers was a new teacher last year. She was searching for classroom ideas, and she found two pictures of my classroom on Pinterest. I'm picky about organization and practicality.

novaguy1968 likes this.
  7. novaguy1968

novaguy1968 MS English Educator

Jul 1, 2017

My question is this: why do so many darned things on Pinterest use a chevron background???

8. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2017

Definitely an advantage being male. The expectation is far lower for your room. Cover the walls with posters and they should last a few years! At my last school one of the assistant Heads used to produce a folder of photos of classrooms to show 'good practise'. My room never made the folder! Despite the fact that my room was the only one in the school with live stock (fish, stick insects and african snails) and enough plants to stock a garden centre!