President's WEEK? Really?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by McKennaL, Jan 15, 2015.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jan 15, 2015

I have recently heard about schools being out for President's WEEK.

Really? I know of President's DAY (and sometimes that isn't even a day off). When I was a child we had Washington's and Lincoln's Birthday off - - but that was LONG LONG LONG ago.

So...do you HAVE President's WEEK off? Where in the U.S. is President's WEEK a real thing?

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2015

They attach onto that in my district (the Friday before) to make a brief mid-winter break of 4 days. When I was in elementary school, in the district just north of where I teach now, we had a full week off in February for mid-winter break.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2015

My district is off President's Day. My daughter's is not. If districts do have the whole week off, I bet it's tied to Winter Break.

5. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jan 15, 2015

A need for a mid-winter break after a 2 week Christmas/Winter break is a bit much.
    I need a few days off at times (like any other teacher), but sometimes it's just too many breaks. Stay in school and get the job DONE!

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 15, 2015

We have the day off, and we also have off three days in February for Mardi Gras!

7. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Jan 15, 2015

We are off President's Day and this year they made the Friday before our conference release day. (We have two long nights of conferences, so we get one day off.)

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 15, 2015

Yes, we have it off. We don't have snow days so it still works out that we are in school the same number of days as other schools.

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 15, 2015

We used to have Presidents' Week! The district took it away from us about 6-7 years ago!

Now, we have a four-day weekend, which isn't too shabby, either.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 15, 2015

I totally agree with this! I've NEVER heard of Presiden'ts Week by the way & that will just make the last day of school end even later, which results in a short summer that already flies by as it is.

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 15, 2015

We never had president's day off when I was in school or when I subbed/taught. We did/do have mid winter break. When I was in school it was 2 days for a cushion of snow days so we didn't have to make it up at the end. It is now built in as mid winter break & one reason is because February tends to be one of the coldest months still that they can turn heat down (It's a Friday -Monday break...so long weekend) over the weekend to save money on heating costs. They actually now do conferences with kids off Thurs, Fri, Mon (teachers have development day).

12. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2015

Agreed! It also leads to students losing material that they had learned!

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 15, 2015

Especially if you have snow days...Just last week a lot of schools around us went back... then only went to school 2 days last week!!! Pretty much everyone here was closed last Friday!!!

14. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jan 15, 2015

We came back from Christmas on Jan 6. We don't have another break, not even a day until Spring break. This week we have had cold weather ( West Texas doesn't get much cold) I was wanting a snow day or a delay. Just because I am tired all ready and the prospect of no break until March leaves me despondent.

15. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 15, 2015

I grew up in NY (suburbs of NYC) and we always had a week off for President's week. Not sure if they still do it or not. But it was pretty common around where I grew up, we were definitely not the abnormality.

I now live and teach in PA and the districts around here either do a 4 day weekend or a 3 day weekend for it.

16. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 15, 2015

Around here it varies, I get a 4 day weekend and the district I live in gets the week. I never heard it referred to as President's week though. We call it Mid-winter break.

17. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 15, 2015

I'm in CO. I used to work in a ski resort town in the mountains. There we had the week of president's day off (but it was called mid-winter break). I was told that the district started doing this to encourage people to take their kids skiing that week rather than pulling them out of school to ski on random school days. Our spring break was also always the last week of April because that's when the ski resorts would close, and many families (obviously most people in this town worked for the resorts) would take a vacation that week anyway. Most of our teachers actually did not like having the Feb. break. They said it put kids behind, especially since our state testing used to begin at the end of Feb. We didn't get snow days. The highways would often close and we would still not get them. Essentially the district said we lived in a snow economy and we needed to suck it up or move (I moved :)).

Now I'm in Denver and I don't know of any schools around here that do the mid-winter break. We do get President's Day off. Snow days here are possible but rare. I got one my first year here, none last year, and none so far this year. It has to snow at least one foot before a snow day is even considered. We routinely go to school with freezing rain/icy roads and snow in the 8-10 inch range.

18. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Jan 15, 2015

In NY, we got this and called it midwinter break. I like the idea better than getting 3 Mondays off in a row, which is what I have here. I see classes once a week, so I won't see my Monday students for a month.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2015

We call it February break and occurs the week of Presidents day...it's actually quite common in the Northeast states,although some districts around me are trying to get rid of it.

We get the job done in NJ where my state in consistently ranked highly in comparison to other states' schools. We didn't have 2 weeks off fro Christmas and no, we don't get out in May or start in August either.:unsure:

20. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2015

Just looked at the calendar again...guess we actually have Thursday-Monday off.

21. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 16, 2015

I think I remember hearing that it started during the energy crisis as a way to save on heating fuel costs during the coldest parts of winter?

Anyways, it is always a snow-day make-up for us, and so we will be making up our snow day from November. That means no days off for us until Spring Break the last week of March, unless we get some snow days (which don't look very likely, given the long range forecasts show us mostly at above average temps).

22. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 16, 2015

Ama.. that's why our schools in the county did it...Now though people use it like an extra spring break...

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 16, 2015

We call it Mid winter break I think. We don't get MLK day (or any other monday holidays) off so it stands to reason we'd have to get some other time off to make sure we have the same number of days in school as other schools.

24. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jan 16, 2015

We don't get President's day, instead we get MLK day.

I've never had President's day off.

25. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 17, 2015

I don't really see this perspective at all - if people take mid winter breaks, it just means they're in school longer and have a shorter summer. That's the school system's choice. Who cares? I personally like more mid-year breaks as opposed to a 3 month summer. The kids don't lose much in one week.

Several school districts in southern CA had or have President's week. I'm in NorCal now. My school has several midyear breaks (including 4 days for President's and 2 weeks each for Christmas and spring), but we also have less than 2 months for summer. Oh, and we also get MLK day. We don't have any snow days since it doesn't snow, so that's never taken into account. I like it.

26. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jan 17, 2015

We get both

27. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 17, 2015

I'd rather have more week long breaks and a shorter summer.

28. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jan 17, 2015

We didn't have a 2 week Xmas break. Okay, it was a week and a half. :)

We have off for MLK and a 4 day weekend for Presidents Day. My home district has a week off winter break (the week of Presidents Day) but they don't have off for MLK.

No snow days yet. Hopefully, there's no snow coming anytime soon!

As has been said, I don't see what difference it makes if schools have a winter break in lieu of a longer summer as long as the total number of school days are the same.

29. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Jan 18, 2015

In some places it is called Ski Week.

30. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 18, 2015

We get MLK and Presidents Day off. It makes for a nice schedule. We have at minimum one day off a month for the entire year. I too would rather have a shorter summer and more frequent breaks. Kids definitely don't lose as much in the shorter breaks.

31. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2015

This!:thumb:

. Here in the Northeast we traditionally have brutal winters, major cold and flu break outs, and at least in NJ don't start school until after Labor Day (in part due to the economics of great weather through August at the 'Jersey Shore':)) it's what we are used to...we have some sort of day off/break about every nine weeks or so due to religious holidays, teachers' convention, winter break, spring break, etc. it gives everyone a little down time to rest, refect and gear up for the next push.

As long as we are successfully reaching and teaching our kids...that's what it's all about, right?:2cents:

32. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jan 18, 2015

Our students are out for MLK, but we have teacher professional development that day. Our students get the Friday before President's Day (again PD got us), as well as President's Day, so a 4 day weekend for them.

33. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jan 18, 2015

No breaks.

34. hatima

hatima Devotee

Jan 18, 2015

we have the Monday off. The Tuesday is a PD day. In the unlikely event we get snow day it can be used as a make up day (rather than or in addition to the days at the end of May.)

35. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jan 19, 2015

I knew a school that got a several days for President's week, but it was really more like the mid-semester breaks that universities get. They did not take off for as many of the religious holidays (all religions), so in the long run it worked out. I am not saying that the students/staff couldn't take off for religious holidays and be excused, because they could, but the whole school didn't take off. Additionally, it was a walking district, so they almost never closed for snow, and that gave them some latitude. It was interesting, but probably only worked because it was a tiny district. It made a lot of sense here in NJ, where most of us go into June.

36. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 19, 2015

We get the Monday and Tuesday for Mardi Gras.

37. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 19, 2015

I would like that!

38. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 12, 2015

Having a bunch of 3 day weekends isn't workable for my school. It is easier for our schedules to just have a whole week off. We provide certain services on different days of the week. If we kept having Mondays off then all the services that were held on Mondays would be short sessions. If we have a whole week off it balances out.

39. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Feb 12, 2015

We have the week off as well. I believe it started during the oil crisis in the 70s as away for schools to save money (shutting down the heat completely for a whole week).

40. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Feb 13, 2015

We don't even get a day off for the Queen's birthday. And she is a Queen not just some fly by night politician!

41. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 13, 2015

Our school is open during the break. Only the teachers and students are off. Other people are working. If I want to come in and work in my classroom during the break the heat is on and I can stay as long as I want.