President's Day

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by TeachtheWorld, Feb 17, 2004.

1. TeachtheWorld

TeachtheWorld Companion

Feb 17, 2004

I'm looking for cute President's Day activities for my kinders. So far, we've made a log cabin using milk cartons, pretzels, and chocolate frosting. They turned out cute!

3. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Feb 17, 2004

For more info on that activity, it's here:
    http://atozteacherstuff.com/pages/1891.shtml

:)

We are reading books about the Presidents:

Let's Read About George Washington by Kimberly Weinberger
    Let's Read About George W. Bush by Sonali Fry
    Let's Read About Abraham Lincoln by Sonia Black
    Abe Lincoln Remembers by Ann Turner

We read the George Washington book, and made quarters yesterday. I used a blackline of a quarter (front and back) for the kids to color, cut out, fold over, and glue. I also had a blackline of a $1 bill where they had to cut out George's face and paste it on. The back had facts about George Washington. We have reviewed and discussed these for the past 2 days: George Washington was the first president of the United States. He is also known as the Father of Our Country. His face is on the dollar bill and quarter.

Today, we made 3 corner hats. I'll try to post the pattern for them this evening.

I may be able to post more ideas later. :D

4. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 17, 2004

Amanda, I like the idea of making the quarters. I have off this week so I have to do my activities next week with the kids. IS there a way I can get the blackline of the quarter?

5. Amanda

Feb 17, 2004

I am going to try to make a pattern for that too, but I can't promise anything. I already have the hat pattern, so it won't be too much work. :)

The kids loved the quarters.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Feb 17, 2004

I divided my kindergarten children into groups of two and played heads and tails with a penny. They marked the graph after each flip. They loved it! Several wanted to do it again. Then we talked about how many groups had heads as the winner and how many had tails. Heads were definitely a winner.

7. Amanda

Feb 17, 2004