Preservice/ student, I'm 24...

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by aksunshine, Dec 2, 2005.

1. aksunshine

aksunshine Rookie

Dec 2, 2005

...is there hope that I'll finish school? Somedays I feel so discouraged. I started school late (I was 20) and because of personal reasons, full time class has been an issue. I have a 3 y/o and another coming in early May. Some say I won't have time for school, which doesn't help. I mean, it truly is hard enough driving an hour each way, without the added stress of what will be two small children. Because I have dropped two semesters worth of classes, my GPA is too low for me, something I can't afford. I love teaching, I have subbed for two years, and I don't want to quit or give up, but I am worried. I have two yaers left full time, if I play all of my cards right.

3. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Dec 2, 2005

Good luck aksunshine! I don't have my own kids, but last year I was a nanny. I teased the mom that her 3 year old was probably the only kid in the area that got Beowulf for a bedtime story (I was in my English Lit class and there was soooo much reading, and I had to do it sometime!) ;) It's tough, but you can do it!

4. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Dec 3, 2005

YES! You can do this. You started late? Nah, I was 36 when I was a freshman! I also had two small children and traveled 750 miles per week getting us all to and from school. Everyone's circumstances differ, but hopefully you have a strong support system and it will be worth the goal when you have finished. I graduated at the top of my class, just to prove to myself (and a few others, shame on me) that I could do it! I wish you the best!

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 3, 2005

Danny'sNanny reading the kid Beowulf is on exactly the right track. Obviously you can't do ALL your study with your kid(s) - but a three-year-old can be read to and can help Mom practice mnemonics for her classes. (I know of a three-year-old who used to read Library of Congress catalog numbers to her mom... but, yes, that's a bit extreme.)

6. WannaBe

WannaBe New Member

Dec 19, 2005

You didn't start late. I am 30 and am a junior(?). I am a single mom of a four year old son. I drive an hour each way to and from school. I also work part time. It can be done. It takes commitment and time management.
    Good luck.

7. aksunshine

aksunshine Rookie

Dec 21, 2005

Wow! That sounds so much like me. Thanks for your words and good luck!

8. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 21, 2005

You can do it! See if there's any way you can do some correspondance courses or online courses. You might be able to do these and transfer the credits. You can also do them during the summer. I took several correspondance and online courses, and then did summer sessions. It really helped me get all my credits in (I was a double major who finished in 5 1/2 years). I'm sure your school can help work around it. You might even be able to take some night classes that are given once a week. I understand that sometimes these things are possible, but they're an idea. Even if it takes a little longer for you to get a degree, just keep trying. You'll get it eventually.

9. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Dec 28, 2005

aksunshine. It's never too late. I'm living proof. I just turned 45 and I'm student teaching in January. I started back to school taking online classes in 2000 while I was at home running a daycare. After 3 years of online classes, I transferred to my college full time and within 2 years, I finally finished. If I can do it, anyone can. The key is to start out small taking what classes you can, then build up to 2 or 3 at a time. Good luck...you can do it.

10. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Dec 28, 2005

Those stories are funny about kids helping memorize, etc. When I had my Inquiries class (education theory) my son who was 8 at the time helped me memorize for my final exam. We made up a song about McMillan, Bloom, Pestolozi, etc. (all the ece theorists) He still talks about it to this day and I will never forget these theorists, either.

11. Ashtrey

Ashtrey Companion

Dec 31, 2005

I'm a 25 year old senior, single mother of a 3 year old. I work full time, 3 - 12 hour days on the weekend. I have a lot of great friends and family that help me out whenever they can. I have felt like giving up many times, but I know I am almost finished and I am doing this to give my family a better life. Working a factory job is a major push in my pursuing of my degree. I KNOW first hand what kind of no where future I am going to have if I DON'T finish this. You can make it, hang in there :)

Ashley

12. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Dec 31, 2005

You can do it!

I worked full time and had 3 children when I got my Masters. I actually felt that my children helped me to be a much better student. It was tough at times, but now my children remember my hard work and it helps to motivate them.

I remember a few times when I thought that I wanted to drop out. One way that I stuck it out was by making a chart showing my long term goals (sememester by semester). I hung it next to my computer and glanced at it here and there. It made everything look more manageable.

13. jaruby

jaruby Companion

Jan 2, 2006

You can do it!!! Do not give up. I work full time (50+ a week) and I've been going to school full time all year for 2.5 years. Oh yeah did I mention I got married 2.6 years ago to my beautiful wife. I am 31 years old and I finally graduate in August. It can be done. Do not get discouraged I was going to school slowly like you but decided I needed to get done so I killed myself for those 2.5 years. It was so worth it. I did nothing but school and work the entire time but I start student teaching next week and I cant wait! Almost done. Now I just need to get hired in Michigan.

Good luck!

14. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jan 7, 2006

You can deffinitly do it!!!

My mom was 40 years old when she went back to school with a full time teaching job(cosmetology), three kids and managed to get on the deans list every term! Now that I am in college I dont know how she did it! I admire her determination so much . Your kids will too!!!! Keep focused and if you dont have support comming from home you can get some here!!!!

Good Luck!!!!