Preservice Professional Development

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Haley Kraemer, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Haley Kraemer

Haley Kraemer Rookie

Jun 27, 2016

I am a pre-service teacher expecting my first full time job in the fall. I have been reading tons of professional development books, watched webinars, and read articles. I don't feel like I can spend hundreds of dollars on workshops and conferences. Are there any other cost effective ways to get professional development? And will the school board pay for any professional development once I am a full time teacher? How does that work? I want to make sure I am doing everything I can do to be my best.

3. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jun 28, 2016

What are you so worried about, in particular?

Have you completed a teacher preparation program? Did you complete student teaching?

If you went through a program, I think you're fine! Don't worry. The best experience will be getting in the classroom and seeing what works. I think attending conferences and workshops before you actually are in a classroom would be overwhelming, and you may want to implement things but find out your district strictly does things another way.

I say this all from a place of understanding, because I also read tons of books, blogs, and watched videos before beginning my first year. Much of what I wanted to try, as far as instructional methods, went out the window when I found out my principal wanted us to strictly follow the curriculum and have lesson plans that were identical throughout the grade.

4. Haley Kraemer

Haley Kraemer Rookie

Jun 28, 2016

Thanks! I guess I am not worried about anything in particular. I just want to be assured I am doing what I am supposed to be doing. I guess if I am worried about something in particular, it would be guided reading and organization of literacy centers. That's really the only thing I didn't do when I was a long term sub. I have had 3 long term sub jobs and one student teaching job. I was certified December of last year. Then I moved to a new city. I watched a great guided reading webinar using Teacher's Pay Teachers. I found it on the blog I follow Out of this World Literacy. Her resources are awesome. She has leveled passages you can buy and a lesson plan sheet you fill out section by section. It is very practical.

5. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jun 28, 2016

Have you been hired yet, and do you know what grade level you'll be teaching? Like I said, many schools have their own way of doing things. My school uses a basal, no centers, though I could use centers if I really wanted because our requirements are very flexible.

I read this book in college, definitely recommend it!
    Literacy Work Stations: Making Centers Work by Debbie Diller
    https://www.amazon.com/Literacy-Work-Stations-Making-Centers/dp/1571103538

6. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Jun 28, 2016

If you have been hired, your school district might have some sort of new teacher orientation available. This is where you'll get information about what is expected, how you'll be evaluated and which departments handle certain things. This is also where you will find out about what the goals of the district are and those goals will probably be the focus of the PD offered by the school.

YoungTeacherGuy and otterpop like this.
  7. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 28, 2016

Most public schools not only offer PD, they require a lot of it. (And often in is mandatory, even if they offered it in the exact same form the prior year!) I wouldn't worry so much about it ... especially not until you have a job and find out what they already offer or provide.

I currently work for a private school, and we have Title 2 funds to make sure we can attend enough professional development in the areas we need.

8. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jun 29, 2016

My district offers several days of professional development that is specific to new hires. We also have PD opportunities throughout the year. As long as you have your teaching license, I wouldn't worry about doing much more until you are hired. That being said, it is always good to keep reading about current educational trends.

otterpop likes this.