presenting: my classroom!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by bethechange, Aug 30, 2010.

1. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Aug 30, 2010

I know its late in coming, but we don't start school until after Labor Day. Thanks to all who posted pictures of their rooms - I got a lot of great ideas!

(Note the incredible organization - this year my room is TEACCH-ready for myself and my paras! There are do/done systems and visual checklists for how to change everything).

Also note the match card system. Shout out to sk for turning me onto this!

I still have to make some visuals, need to make their sensory schedules, and I have one kid who is on a wall schedule that is not up yet. And someday soon I should be getting a SMARTboard...but it is mostly done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2010

AWESOME! Looks great Bethechange!

4. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Aug 30, 2010

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2010

OMG is that OT gym/area/space in your classroom? INCREDIBLY JEALOUS OVER HERE.

We JUST got a janitor closet approved to be our OT space, and it's JUST big enough to meet regulations to hang a swing. THAT SPACE IS AWESOME!!

I love your calm down spot with the shower curtain. Awesome idea!

6. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2010

Match cards look great. ;)

7. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2010

And dang, if that's all your room, you've got a huge space!!!

8. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Aug 30, 2010

haha, here's more. Sorry for the immature photo posting. I'm new at this!

The picture near the bottom of boxes with blue lids is their wait boxes. They will have names and pics on them and they are filled with 2-3 small toys, books, sensory items, etc and changed weekly. When we do group stuff, if they finish early they can go get their wait box and sit in the wait chairs until we are all dane. We also used them after lunch.

On the bookshelves with the orange and purple folders, the small boxes are where my match card systems go. The kids will do 3 periods a day of independent work (10-15 minutes each). One math, one reading, one writing for some kids and file folder match for other kids.

In the middle of the red lockers is the "relaxation station." I have a relaxation routine we do several times a day posted in there. Also, there is a basket of headphones, sensory items, and a weighted blanket on top. Some kids have this on their schedules, some have it as an option to work for. We will have a whole-class relaxation period of 15 minutes after lunch. We're going to do yoga and deep breathing!

And how about my rocking sensory room? I've died and gone to heaven!!!!!

9. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2010

THAT IS AMAZING. Is it new??? Is there an OT who works with them in there or do you have free access to it?

Like I said, we just got this tiny little space approved for OT and it's just big enough to hang a swing! I mean, it's a small group classroom but it's tiny... probably nothing else can go in there but a swing. I am so jealous of your space.

Love the wait box idea!

10. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Aug 30, 2010

I KNOW!!!! It's an awesome room. That's why I was soooooo excited to move to this school. I, too, have been teaching in closets for three years here (and having to move every year to whatever closet gen ed doesn't want). I think though that our district is FINALLY getting it that kids with ASD need a good space. My room is really big this year. It has a big main space, then it has like three little sticky-outy things in the corners that are like mini-rooms. One is my snack/cooking, one is my 1:1 teaching area (also has a shower curtain that you can close) and one is my social skills/partner play area which I just realized I forgot to take a picture of.

Outside my room is our lockers, the schedule table, and the sensory room is across the hall. It helps having the district OT at your school!!

OMG. And the best part. Ever. I don't have pics of it. But THERE IS ANOTHER AUTISM CLASSROOM and a DCD classroom across the hall too. COLLEAGUES!!!!!

11. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2010

COLLEAGUES!? WHAT!?

OK now I'm REALLY jealous!!!

12. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Aug 30, 2010

Oops, this one got lost somehow.

[​IMG]

That is my choice time area. Also the markerboard with the Dora magnets on it/green table is part of choice time too. The table will prob. have puzzles or legos on it. The toy bins are all categorized and labeled for easy switching from red lockers, to make sure all kids have something they like over there, and to make sure the paras don't just grab the easiest thing to reach, haha).

The top bins are individual kids (their name and pics are on the other sides, but I turned them around to take pictures) so if they have something they are over the moon for, they can put it in their bin for choice time. First work, then choice. Haha.

13. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Aug 30, 2010

I know. I have been saying for years. Autism is not going away. It should surprise no one. There was such a HUGE bubble of kids I had for kinder last year, and I know there are tons more in the preschool, that will be coming up soon. Finally, finally, FINALLY they split up my giant caseload into more manageable sizes. And I get colleagues!!!!!

14. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2010

Cool idea with the choice bins too!

15. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Aug 30, 2010

It helps also that I have an AWESOME principal and special ed coordinator. They really went to bat for me last year.

16. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2010

I'll just be over here drooling.

17. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Aug 30, 2010

I know, I'm sooooooooooo lucky this year. I like to think that's because the squeaky wheel eventually gets some grease, but I'm pretty sure its because we have new administrators who are very supportive of autism. And some knowledgeable parents, which REALLY helps. Now that I know how to post pictures, I'll post pictures of all the fun things I do with my colleagues.....and you can drool some more.

We planned out the year yesteday. 1 theme per month, plus one special 3-class event per month and (HOPEFULLY SOON) one CBI. I have a meeting with the powers that be on 9/20 to pitch my CBI program, so cross your fingers for me.

We've planned a volcano build and launch for March, a Water Day for June, and an Olympics/Wii sports tourney for January when we'll have inside recess all month!!

I've never had colleagues before. Joy!!

18. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 31, 2010

Wow! What a great room :). I love seeing other people's rooms. I still need to post some of my "finished" room (in quotations because my Smart board is still coming and they are still supposed to change my coat hook area which means a bunch of stuff gets moved around as a result. I'm sure my five students with ASD are going to love that I'm moving the room around a couple weeks in to the year!

19. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 31, 2010

I would love to have that large motor space for the typically developing kids in my classroom. Your space looks fantastic.