Preschooler beginning to read

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by JenK26, Nov 13, 2011.

1. JenK26

JenK26 Rookie

Nov 13, 2011

Hi all,
    Does anyone have any idea what kind of books would be good for a 4 year old who is starting to read? I would appreciate the help or advice. Thanks!

Jen

3. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 14, 2011

It took me a while to get a minute to answer. Basically, for the preschoolers I don't jump into books at all. We make a big deal out of making those word family charts and ensuring that we can make all sorts of words (nonsense and real) out of the CVC pattern. Then I move onto a set of books I have here with only rhyming words....no story. The letters read SAT and then the S manipulates off (one is like a pop up book) and the new letter manipulates in R so it now reads RAT and the pic changes when the letter does.

Then after we can really do those rhymes we move to the first set of Bob Books.

4. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Nov 14, 2011

We've been working on the sight words my and the for weeks and weeks. I have one child who is really wanting to read, so I gave her a simple sight word reader "I see my _______." We read it at school a few times, then she took it home to read. We do some initial sounds work, but this is mostly review for her. For the most part I help her write what she wants to write. I help her hear the sounds in words or use the resources in the room to achieve her own writing goals.

So I wrote this out and realized I mostly talking about writing when you asked about reading -- but that's how many of my students make sense of letters and words -- through their own writing.

Hope something here is useful to you.

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 14, 2011

When my preschoolers begin to read, I make sure to have several "easy readers" on the bookshelf. They will pick them up and read away! Just look for books with the basic words in them, the words that they learn first. Many of mine can sound out the other words and they find it quite enjoyable.

6. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 14, 2011

I agree with Miller there is a long time of sound spelling before they read here as well.