Preschool!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by toddteach1, Sep 6, 2006.

1. toddteach1

toddteach1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2006

Hey everyone,
    I have some big news to say! I have recently been offered the position at a daycare center as a lead preschool teacher (full-time). So even though I have exterpience in this age group and have my degree I am still a little rusty with my preschool skills since I haven't been with this age group for awhile. Any and all suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    p.s. my hours are from 9:30a.m. to 6:30p.m. M-F

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 7, 2006

Good for you!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

4. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Sep 7, 2006

Congratulations! Wow, long day for little kids. I hope you have good shoes! :D

5. toddteach1

toddteach1 Rookie

Sep 7, 2006

That is about the extent of my day right now. I work from 8:30-5:30 M-F so it isn't that much different. It's just the age that will be a change. I just went to look at the classroom and meet with the assistant director tonight and boy do I have a challenge ahead of me. For awhile there I was thinking of turning the job down for two reasons which are that I may only be getting nine dollars an hour with about forty taken out of each paycheck for benefits, but she is going to call the district manager tomorrow and find out if I can get ten per hour since I have my degree and seven years experience. The center has just gone through a change in management, as the last girl that was the director was only twenty and directing a center which cared for kids ranging in age from six weeks to twelve years. It did not go well and everything has gone down hill to the point where there are almost no toys left in the classrooms, the carpet is nasty, and the assistant director had to come in on weekends to paint the rooms, do organizing, etc... just to make it appealing to parents. There are many changes in store for the whole center so it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

I do need a few suggestions from all of you though. As I said there is very little for the kids to play with as far as toys so I will definitly be looking into checking books out at the library, doing alot of large motor activities with songs, etc... It isn't too big of a room but pretty good size none the less. I have a playground right outside the classroom so I don't have to go through the center, which will be a nice change. One thing that I am not to sure about is that there is very little shelving to be had so everything is cramed in. However, the assistant director is very open to any suggestion that I may have as far as organization, rearranging the room, etc... Please give me any all tips that you may have for doing the room and activities with very little material.

One last thing and I will wrap it up. The assistant director said that I will have an assistant from nine to one and then another person from one to four both of which have been there for quite a few years so they know the room, the kids, and the routine. This will be a big help as I get into the swing of things. However, the morning girl is firm spoken, which is what I am, but the afternoon girl is soft spoken, which I have a hard time with, but as long as she gets in there and gets things done I should be able to handle it. There has been alot of change over with the room as far as teachers so the kids are a little out of control and the parents are a little nervous. I am glad that the assistant director is so cooperative and supportive with all of this. Again if you have any suggestions/tips what so ever please let me know.Thanks