Preschool tutoring help needed

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Bossis, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Bossis

Bossis New Member

Sep 6, 2020

Hello super teachers! I’m calling you “super” because I’m realizing the true challenges involved in teaching little ones. I’m a retired teacher. Most of my experience has been at the 4th to 5th grade level or above (34 years). I took a job to teach/tutor twin boys - age 4 - 6 hours per week. Not having experience at this age level, I wondered what you all would suggest for a “schedule” over a two hour day - or do you think it would even be better to do one hour a day? I’m finding that attention is very short, and behavior worse if we don’t have frequent breaks. I am teaching in their home, and the parents have set up a room for us to use, but this has turned out to be harder than I expected. Tutoring in their home is distracting. They have a younger brother who is cared for by stay at home dad, but he wants to be with them, and they can hear him playing, calling to them, etc. They will jump up to leave the room - unless I stop them - which, of course ends in a power struggle. I have tried to create or work with activities that are no more than 10 minutes long (at this point that seems to be the extent of their ability to focus.). We are also using the Playing Preschool program, and they are enjoying it. But I feel like they really peter out after two or 3 ten minute activities - or behavior deteriorates and distractability increases. Thanks for your help ahead of time!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  3. Bossis

Bossis New Member

Sep 6, 2020

Ideas are welcome!!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  4. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Sep 9, 2020

I think it's hard because they can hear their brother outside and they want to play too :(
    You and their parents need to help them understand this is "school time" and they can play when they're all done . Maybe set up a visual timer to help them see how much time they have left until they can go play.
    Maybe start with 1 hour a day until they get used to it. After a few months, add on another half hour. And then next semester, if you're all still doing this, shoot for 2 hours. But that might still be hard because they're in their home environment instead of a school environment!

Bossis likes this.
  5. Bossis

Bossis New Member

Sep 10, 2020

Thanks so much for your thoughts. We’re doing much better with our time now. I found out that dad was ADHD as a kid, and mom says the boys may also struggle a bit with it. I’ve used my background as a special educator to help me manuever their short attention spans. We do more focused seated activities in the first hour, and move to more hands on stuff during the second hour. It’s still pretty exhausting, though! I may try the 1 hour a day idea.