Preschool Teacher

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by toddteach1, Sep 9, 2006.

1. toddteach1

toddteach1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to repost this since I cannot seem to find it again after it was posted. Incase no one saw it I got a new job as a preschool teacher with 3-4 year olds. It is exciting since they offer benefits, a retirement plan, $.75 raise, etc..., however the downfall is the director has been hiring college students to fill in until the found someone for the position so the kids have basically come to the conclusion that they can do whatever they want and want get any discipline for their actions:eek: . I know I can turn them around and make something out of the class I would just prefer to walk into a nice class on my first day then this:cool: . Not only that but the director that was there before chose not to reorder anything so all the toys are drastically depleted. So my job will be to replace, rearrange, and decorate with the help of the current director. It is basically a big open room with a couple tables, chairs, and large pieces of furniture. I don't have a whole lot to work with so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am planning to set up a firm, structured schedule with alot of songs, activities, etc... To teach them the rules of the class.

3. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Sep 10, 2006

Which part do you want advice for? Setting up the room and purchasing, or reteaching structure to your students?

4. toddteach1

toddteach1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2006

nmk,
    I want advice for both. I am not sure yet what the budget and all that is like, but I will be meeting with the assistant director next week and will ask her then. The room is basically in dear need of having structure to it as far as acctual learning centers so I just want ideas as to how other people have done it.

5. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Sep 11, 2006

Last year, I had to set up my room basicly from scratch as well. First of all, what do you already have in the room? What's missing? Find out how much money you will be getting-furniture is very expensive!!
    I was given no money, and had to beg for donations. I started with a book stand, because the books were in a cardboard box. Find a company or distributor who is willing to work with you on a payment plan if you won't have all the money at once. (I was given 6 months to pay for each item.) I then moved on to chairs, because as the year progressed, chairs broke, and we got additional students, so we had to replace them. (Milk crates are not the best places to sit in a pre school class...) The cheapest chairs a year ago were around $25-35 each. Again, it depends on the distributor. I know you said you have chairs, but do you have enough? What kind of condition are they in? The same goes for any other furniture in the room-ugly, broken, or very dirty furniture makes the room less appealing, and can encourage students to mistreat it. My students stopped throwing chairs (except for one, who had other problems) the day we got our brand new pink chairs-they were too pretty and exciting to ruin.
    I'd have to think more about reteaching structure...
    Good Luck!!

6. toddteach1

toddteach1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2006

So I am back on and wanted to let everyone know that I have now been at my new job for three days now. It is going quite well so far, but I have a few questions for everyone. First off I have more then I thought which is good because I acctually have learning centers they are just missing three quarters of their toys. I need advice on games that can be played in an open space inside or on the playground outside. I have anywhere between six to 16 kids so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

7. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Oct 3, 2006

hokey pokey
    farmer in the dell
    little sally saucer
    punchenello funny fellow
    duck duck goose
    a tisket a tasket

all are very active.
    if you don't know how to play any of them, I can post directions.

8. toddteach1

toddteach1 Rookie

Oct 6, 2006

Thanks for the suggestions NMK! However I have heard of all but the little sally saucer and don't remember how to do punchenello funny fellow. If you could post directions for these two that would be great.

9. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Oct 17, 2006

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond-I haven't had access to the internet in a while!
    Little Sally Saucer: I'm going to give you the revised version we used last year, it's better than the original. Stand in a circle holding hands. One child sits in the middle. Chant "Little Sally Saucer, sitting in the water, smile, Sally, smile, Sally, show us your smile Sally, turn to the east and turn to the west and turn to the very on that you like best!" Child turns in one direction by turn to the east, and then the other by turn to the west, and the switches places with the child in the middle. We actually replace "Sally" with the child's name. [original words: Little Sally Saucer, sitting in the water, cry Sally, cry Sally, wipe of your eyes, Sally, turn to the east...]

Punchenello: Stand in a circle holding hands. One child stands in the center, while the group sings "What can you do Punchenello funny fellow, what can you do punchenello funny you?" The child than does whatever he wants-jumps, hops, claps etc. The group copies and sings "We can do it to Punchenello funny fellow, we can do it to punchenello funny you!" We usually replace "Punchenello" with the childs name.

Good luck!