Preschool teacher, now mom

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by AleighJc, May 9, 2011.

1. AleighJc

AleighJc Rookie

May 9, 2011

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 9, 2011

Hi and welcome!

This is coming as the mom of 3, not as a teacher (since I'm secondary math.)

It seems to me that your instincts are right on. When I was shopping for preschools, I elminated any that seemed to confuse my 3 year old son with the high school kids I was teaching. (Or worse, with the high schoolers someone else was teaching; I seldom give worksheets.) I ended up at a school whose philosopy was "Learning through play" and it was a good fit for all 3 of my kids. And, like yours, my kids tended to do well iwith a half day; they took the occasional nap at age 3. The artwork was most obviously that of a 3 year old.

I don't think it's life or death, but I would look into what other schools are available.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 9, 2011

I don't think that what you are experiencing is going to harm your child. I don't think that it sounds developmentally appropriate though.

Can your child name their letters, make some of the letter sounds, write their name, etc?

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 9, 2011

Look elsewhere. You have a ECE degree--use it to find a great school. Don't worry that it's not the one the "best" people in town use.

6. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

May 10, 2011

"Only one worksheet per day" seems like far too many, in my opinion - especially if class is from 9-1.

I am in a state program, we go all day from 830-330 and I have tried to eliminate worksheets completely. Now, every once and awhile I struggle for an activity and we might do something like color a predrawn image and cut it out - it's not my preference, but again, my kids are there a long time and sometimes we just need something to do! But it's maybe once a month. I don't consider or call those activities art. Art should be open-ended, period.

Barbies as a choice doesn't concern me, except that it wouldn't be the first choice I'd mention, you know? We might have Barbies for a couple weeks - but I would want to talk about the art center, the blocks, dramatic play, legos, musical instruments, etc.

It sounds like you know what a quality preschool should look like. Stick to your guts until you find one.

7. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

May 12, 2011

Welcome to my world. It is SOOOOO hard to find a good preschool because I can find so many things wrong with them the second I walk in the door. I don't think there is anything wrong with expecting more. In my experience 99% of preschools in my area are not run by people with a degree in education. :eek: I did finally find one I like after a lot of trial and error. If you don't have a good feeling about it NOW, you definitely won't once she starts going. You'll probably be kicking yourself and wanting to pull her out.

How old is your daughter?

8. teacherR

teacherR Companion

May 17, 2011

I think that if you feel it is a bad fit then you should go with it. I have 4 kids though and I can pick any learning establishment apart. Remember to take that into account as someone who taught E.C. I usually make my husband tour first and then tell me his opinion. You know too much and sometimes that leads to pickyness. My new rule with my kids is if they love it then I am good with it unless I see some major violations. My daughter is at a center that I am not to impressed with but she adores it and is happy. really that is all I want is for her to have a good school experience.