Preschool Teacher and your own children

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by thansen85, Sep 5, 2013.

1. thansen85

thansen85 New Member

Sep 5, 2013

Hello,

My daughter in law would like to teach at my preschool which is in my basement of my home.

She has a one year old. I was wondering how you have or do handle your own children while teaching?

Thanks for your help.:thanks:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2013

Hi, and welcome!

Are there other 1 year olds enrolled? If not, then what are her plans for taking care of the baby as she teaches?

I'm certainly no expert on preschool, but my experience as a mom tells me that 1 year olds and 4 year olds live on vastly different planets.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2013

What Alice said. :)

Plenty of people teach their own children, but I wouldn't (as owner) love the idea of a one year old with the preschoolers. I think other parents may have concerns, too.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 5, 2013

I had my daughter in my PS for several years. The PS was in the basement of my house. It can be an issue if you let it. I explained to the other kids that this was my DD's home. So, she got to do some things the rest of the kids did not. Sometimes my DD needed to get away from all the kids, and would go upstairs. My students understood that she got these special privileges and accepted them.

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2013

I worked in the same room with a teacher who had her daughter and it was HORRIBLE!!!!

Her daughter constantly wanted her attention, whined, wanted special treatment, etc. etc. As the co-teacher it was enormously frustrating because she gave her daughter different rules and treatment than the other kids. For example, she would leave for lunch and bring back fries or soda for her child and the other children watched her eat them. She didn't make her child stay on her mat for nap like the other children had to, she gave her candy to shut her up when she whined, etc. etc.

Just make sure the rules are very clear from the beginning on how you want things handled.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2013

I don't think that teaching your own child has to be an issue unless you make it one.

A (now) friend of mine was my daughter's preschool teacher, and her son was in the class. He was treated like every other kid.

So I don't think that necessarily has to be an issue for your daughter. But the age thing will make it tricky.

8. thansen85

thansen85 New Member

Sep 6, 2013

Thanks to everyone for your comments.:)

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2013

I worked with a teacher who had her daughter in the room with her and it was not a good thing! She favored her kid, and it was not fair to the other children. The director should have put her foot down in the case, BUT she really did not care at all. PITA!
    I also had my child with me ages ago when I taught the 2's and it was hillarious! My son and his best friend would take their shoes off, and one sock each. They had the best time ever! The only problem I had was that he was a biter, so I had to explain to the parents whenever he decided to chop his pearly whites on other children. Other than that, it was a LOT of fun. I was very hard on him though, 'cause I did not want the other parents to think that I was playing favs.
    Rebel1