Preschool supply list

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by zoey'smom, Jun 8, 2010.

1. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Jun 8, 2010

If you ask parents for school supplies for preschool what do you ask for?

I will teaching preschool next year. I haven't taught preschool for over 8 years. Our preschool is state funded and as you know there is no money. This year we will be lucky to get 60 percent of the money that the state owes us. Because of this there is little money for supplies this year, I will have to ask parents to bring in things. I need your help, because I haven't taught preschool in so long. I am not sure what I will need or what I should ask for. I don't want the list to be too big. What do you ask parents to bring?

3. bac32

bac32 New Member

Jun 8, 2010

You will definately need a change of clothes including underwear and socks. If you take naps you'll need two cot or nap-pad sized covers or large towels, tissue(for runny noses or tears), bandaids(if you're allowed to apply them), book bags, and working emergency contact numbers. This is a basic list.

4. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Jun 8, 2010

I also work for a state funded preschool and money is always an issue with us as well. We can not require parents to supply any school supplies for their child other than a change of clothing (no naps here). However, we do ask for "donations" such as boxes of tissue, hand sanitizer, and craft items.

For supplies such as crayons, glue, pencils etc. You can get really, really good deals on school supplies during the summer from Staples, Target, and Walmart. Last summer I got packs of pencils for .01 a pack, 24 pack of Crayola crayons for .10 a box, scissors for .50 a piece and glue sticks for .25 for a 2 pack. Just keep an eye out for store circulars and posts on this website starting in July.

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jun 9, 2010

Good question...

This past year, I only asked parents to bring diapers/wipes, a change of clothes, and snacks. I'm going to add kleenex, napkins, paper towels, and ziplock bags to the list, I think. Haven't decided what else is going on there... I'm planning on buying a lot of the basic supplies from the back-to-school sales and then (probably) getting reimbursed for them from school. I can't in my mind justify ordering those things from catalogues when I can get them for SO much cheaper!!!

6. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 9, 2010

I'm looking forward to those sales! Glue sticks are really, really important and could you ask for 1 subject notebooks to be used for jounals? those were a penny last year!

7. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Jun 9, 2010

If you make your own play dough for class use, you could have parents take turns making it at home with a tried and true recipe. I use alum in my play dough, and the cost adds up.

8. shellie1619

shellie1619 Rookie

Jun 11, 2010

I think that it is funny that we have to state 'underwear and socks' when requesting a change of clothes. It amazes me how many parents forget underwear and socks.:lol:

9. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Jun 11, 2010

Our school has an overabundance of supplies so I usually just ask for napkins, clorox wipes, tissue, and a bookbag.

10. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Jun 11, 2010

I usually ask for glue sticks, white glue, markers, chalk, crayons, paper, staples, tape, kleenex, wipe refills, food coloring, and hand sanitizer. It is helpful to ask for school supplies that will be on sale for back to school.

I also try to ask for recycled items such as newspaper, old jars and such. That way people who maybe can't afford to spend the money can still help out. I know as a parent I do not mind a list that is a bit lengthy as long as I am not obligated to purchase stuff. Sometimes I am out and find a great deal and am happy to help my kids class.

11. skerns

skerns Companion

Jun 12, 2010

We send out a list of items that the students are to bring to orientation with them : 2 boxes tissues, wipes, Clorox wipes, toothpaste, paper towels and Ziploc bags, as well as a change of clothes (we specify each article) a blanket, and a backpack.

We have to supply their pencil box, crayons, pencil, glue stick and markers. We catch the cheap deals over the summer.

However, at orientation I make Stickee notes with our class wish list supplies written on them and let parents know they can take one from the board to help our class. There are rarely any left. Some items I list are: play dough, ink cartridges, copy paper, card stock in various colors, paper plates, turtle or fish food, birdseed, goldfish crackers, Wal-mart and Michael's $25 gift cards.

This past year a parent bought me the 100 pack of each color of card stock for the Cricut. A real lifesaver.

12. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Jun 15, 2010

This is my supply list for next year. We have students bring office supplies as well.

2 boxes of 8 basic crayola markers broad tip
    2 boxes of crayola crayons (16 count)
    2 large bottles of Elmer's White glue (not paste)
    6 Elmer's glue sticks
    1 school box (Not shoebox size/style - they don't fit in our cubbies!)
    1 scissors: metal fiskars
    2 crayola watercolors set (8-16 colors)
    2 pencils
    1 paint shirt
    1 change of clothes (underwear, pants, socks, shirt.) these need to be replaced EACH TIME wet clothes are sent home. - please put in gallon sized Ziploc bag labeled with your child's name - MANDATORY

general supply/office supplies
    2 large boxes of tissues
    4 packages of 5 oz. cups (waxed)
    2 large containers of baby wipes
    3 containers of Lysol or Clorox Anti-Bacterial wipes
    2 reams of white copy paper
    1 ream of colored copy paper (light color)

13. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jun 20, 2010

Here is a link to our general school supply list for pre-k classes. Each teacher can add or subtract items from the list as long as it doesn't exceed a certain dollar amount.