Preschool Student with Autism question

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by ZoeMarie, Aug 1, 2019.

1. ZoeMarie

ZoeMarie Rookie

Aug 1, 2019

I have a preschool student with autism who tends to get picked on but when she is not getting picked on she can misinterpret social situations where someone is just talking to her or playing with her and she thinks they are being mean. I explain to her that they are not being mean, they are just playing/laughing/talking to her etc. and she continues to cross her arms and put her head down. I typically ignore the behavior at that point because I think at home it's a behavior that gets a lot of attention even when it is not warranted. This summer (ESY) she is one of two girls in the class and it has been a daily issue for her to get along with the boys in the class.

There was a conflict between her and another student on the playground which I handled with the parents of those children. Now, her mother wants to have a meeting. We've talked many times about how she can misinterpret social situations and has a hard time moving on. Sometimes she is the instigator as well. At this age every child has their moments of creating conflict. We've talked about that too. I'm running out of advice to give her mother. Mom becomes very upset and sensitive and despite my advice and explanations, every few months the issue comes up that Mom feels her daughter isn't being treated nicely by the other students and wants to meet about it.

While students do have conflict I've been told my students handle social situations and conflicts very well. It's not like there are things going on that I don't notice or address. My expectations are high for my students even at the preschool level. It is a rare occurrence in my classroom that conflicts go beyond using not nice words.

Another side note is that Mom is very pregnant. The baby will be arriving soon. I'm sure this has something to do with the challenges this student has had over the summer.

Thank you for any advice you can give on this topic.

3. QueenBee4th

QueenBee4th Rookie

Aug 1, 2019

Have you tried social stories with her?