Preschool Rules??

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by missd1228, Sep 3, 2008.

1. missd1228

missd1228 Rookie

Sep 3, 2008

So I just found out that I have a job as a lead teacher of a 3, 4, and 5 year old mixed class. I want to create a nice and simple list of rules that all the age groups can understand. I want to be positive with simple rules that we can recite like helping hands, walking feet, listening ears, quiet voices, etc......I just kind of wanted to hear the rules that all of you use. I look forward to hearing your responses.

3. PennStateCutie

PennStateCutie Companion

Sep 3, 2008

I say "Everybody give me FIVE" and they put up their hand like a high-five...the five things that I then remind them of are: eyes watching, ears listening, lips are quiet, hands & feet to yourself, sitting up straight.

4. PennStateCutie

PennStateCutie Companion

Sep 3, 2008

although the last one could be walking feet

5. missd1228

missd1228 Rookie

Sep 3, 2008

That is really cute, I like the "give me five" idea. I think that is an easy way to remind them of the rules...thanks!

6. PennStateCutie

PennStateCutie Companion

Sep 3, 2008

yw :) glad to help!

7. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Sep 4, 2008

I use the same rules but I printed out clip art (hands, feet, mouth, eyes, and ears) and on the first day I asked the children what each body part should do in school and what it shouldn't do. For example, I started running around the classroom and asked the children should my feet do this? They said no (and giggled) because someone could get hurt and then I sat in circle time, with my legs spread wide and asked again, should my feet do this? They said no because someone could trip. Then I asked them what my feet should do in a classroom, and they sit walk and sit criss cross applesauce, and never touch anyone. I did this for each picture, and they were able to distinguish between safe habits and not safe ones. They also helped me glue the picture onto tagboard and write the rule. I thought this would explain why we have these rules and help them take ownership of them. Already on the first day, children were pointing out the rules to their friends and reminding each other of them.

8. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Sep 4, 2008

Mine are similiar:

Eyes are watching
    Ears are listening
    Mouth is quiet
    Hands are still or working

9. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2008

The groundrules of our space are simple:

We respect each other, we respect the materials and we respect our space. Built into the element of respect is being kind to each other, taking care of each other, and helping each other.

10. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 4, 2008

Yes, these are our rules as well

Respect yourself
    Respect all others
    Respect the enviornment (of the classroom) and all things in it.

I love how it is simple, covers everything as translates well to the outside rules of the society. Parents can identify well with it as well, and parental support is important in our program.;)

11. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 4, 2008

Be a nice friend to all the children
    Be a nce friend to me
    Hands are for hleping and not for hurting
    Teamwork

we talk about what makes a nice friend and what makes a bad friend and we make a hleping hands banner and talk about how we can use our hands to help and how hands can hurt. We also do parachute play witha ball and a bean bag and have to work together to keep them on the parachute-- if someone is too hard with it and makes the ball fall off they have to sit out for the next round because that wasn't being a good friend (I watch them to see if it's done intentionally because they aren't listening or just want to see the ball fly or if it's an accident-- you can usually tell petty good. I give instructions dureing the parachute games of easy, hig, low, fast etc too---

12. Taliesin

Taliesin Rookie

Sep 4, 2008

On the first day of school, we sat down together and brainstormed a list of rules that the children wanted to write for the classroom. I told them that since they were going to be in the class for a year, they should decide what rules they wanted to live by. I guide them as they give me the rules. So if they say "be nice", I might say "yes, we should 'always be kind to one another'." I typed it up and printed it out and will have each of them "sign" their name on the paper, indicating they are agreeing to follow those rules.

13. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Sep 5, 2008

I LOVE the idea of showing the rules instead of just explaining. What age do you teach? Do you think it's a good idea to do that with 2.5 year olds or they may be too young?

14. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Sep 5, 2008

Is that the same thing as 'sit like a pretzel'? I haven't heard of the applesauce. Does applesauce have anything to do with sitting or it just sounds nice (with pretzel as I understand your legs resemble it, so it's easier to remember)

15. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Sep 5, 2008

Hi, I teach 4 year olds. My son is 5 and over the summer I tried my rules out on him. He laughed and laughed each time I did something wrong (like running) and he told me the safe way to do things. Even now, he asks me to go over the rules. I just thought that it would be more concrete if I actually showed them what I was looking for. I think it would work great with 2.5 year olds. Again, it is more concrete and I think they would be able to see what is okay and what is not.

16. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Sep 5, 2008

I could be wrong, but I think applesauce is just something that rhymes with criss cross. The kids seem to remember it and when they are not sitting like a pretzel, I just say criss cross applesauce, and they immediately sit that way.