preschool room out of control

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by little knight, Sep 29, 2006.

1. little knight

little knight New Member

Sep 29, 2006

I am the teacher at a child care center and we have a classroom of 16 3 year olds and they are ALL out of control. I need some help on discipline strategies. We have tried everything....

3. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Sep 29, 2006

Do they have any kind of structure during the day?

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 29, 2006

I don't teach this age, but some things that you might try include:

Try engaging them in a song and dance to attract them to you in the circle time area. Then go to a slower more calming but physical activity or song. Then have them sit down. (It takes time to get them used to a routine). Quickly explain whatever you need to explain but don't draw it out. Have free center play (with purpose). Give a snack. Give another free lesson with puppets or other solid visual materials. Have arts. Do engaging things. Teach them to raise their hand when they see yours. Don't just raise it. Raise one, then two, then touch your nose, then your ears, etc. That will practice sequence if you do it the same way every time. They will start copying you. My room loves this. Use a sing song voice, read aloud. Okay, I'm probably telling you things you already do and know, but just some thoughts. No biggie.

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 29, 2006

That is too many 3 year olds in one room, no matter how many teachers you have. If you are not able to split off into another room with 8 in each room, them divide your existing room with a simple room divider and get organized. 3 year olds will go crazy without a solid plan in place.

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 29, 2006

Our fullest day is 17 3's. It gets CRAZY... fortunately, that's only on Thursdays... and then Friday is a much more managable 14. ;)

Here's an example of our daily schedule... we don't stick to it exactly, but it's at least an estimate that might give you some ideas. It works pretty well, most of the time.

Before 7:15, they're in a different room having free play, until my co-teacher comes in. She brings them to our room, they have breakfast. She puts out table toys, which they can choose as the other kids start to come in (there's usually only a few kids in this early)... they can choose different toys if they put those away. She'll also do books on tape, open thel istening center, computer, etc.

I come in at 8:45. 9:00 or 9:15 (depending on how many kids we're still expecting), we start Circle... this one is calendar. Then we have snack, followed by playground.

Come inside about 10:30, do circle (letter of the week, stories, theme-based large-group stuff), and do centers. Our centers are on a rotation system... both of us lead a center each (might be math, writing, art, science, whatever), and the others are things they can do independently (blocks, dramatic play, puzzles, manipulatives, etc), they rotate through each one as a group. We close with another circle (while the other teacher sets up lunch), and eat 12:00 or 12:15, depending what time our lunch is ready. After lunch, we get ready for naps... we try to be down by 12:45.

3:00 start waking up, bathroom trips as they get up, they can get a book while waiting for their friends, then snack.

Playground whenever my friends show me they're ready until 4:15 or 4:30

Circle (Stories and songs) and freeplay until they go home.

What does your schedule look like?

For discipline, we do a lot of natural consequences... if you don't sit appropriately, you don't get to do the next activity. If you don't put your coat on, you don't get to go outside... etc. We're VERY explicit with what we expect, and very consistent. ("I will call on friends who are sitting criss-cross applesauce with their hands in their laps. I will not call on friends who are calling out" or "If the grass is wet, do we play on it?" (kids answer "no") or "when you're done, put everything on your plate and your hands in your lap so I know you are finished")

It REALLY helps my kids when we go over what appropriate behavior does and does not look like. Kids who don't do what's asked after several reminders lose that priviledge. It works for most kids (I only really have one that that's not working for right now).

7. LissiaLou

LissiaLou Rookie

Sep 29, 2006

Can you believe that I once had 22 little 3 year olds BY MYSELF!!! Now that was a job! (It was a church affiliated daycare) I finally got everyone into a routine but it took a lot of work AND patience. I pulled out all the stops and made it work. If they would have paid me more than $6.25 per hour, then I might've stayed longer.

8. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Sep 30, 2006

I teach 18 4 year olds. A few of them just turned four. Not sure if what I do will help but first of all you need to establish a very structured routine and try not to stray from that routine to much. Children of this age do not take well to change.
    I also need to know what kind of discipline plan you are using. I use a stop light which is a very common behavior plan. I state my rules. We spend about 3-4 days just going over rules and routine.
    Are you in a day care setting? Ii teach in a public school. I will try to help out if I know a little more about your situation.

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 30, 2006

OOOOHHHHH....that reminded me of something else. Have a big poster that says "Classroom Rules" instead of words use the kids pictures! Get them involved in the process. We do this with our "Safety Theme." For the example above in the "YES" column take a picture of a student sitting crisscross. In the "NO" column take a picutre of a student laying down or in some silly position. That may or may not but a rule of yours but have your common rules done this way then you can refer to your pictures and they can EASILY understand them because they are VISUAL!

10. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 30, 2006

I would not make a good 3 year old teacher...they are a handful and some are not yet potty trained...

11. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 30, 2006

Grammy, that made me laugh. Ours are SUPPOSED to be potty-trained before they come to our room... we lost a few at the beginning apparently because they weren't yet. I've got a couple, though, who have accidents at least once a week (always in the bathroom, though), and one who sometimes stands in front of the potty with his pants down and can't figure out what to do. HELLO!!!!!!! Fortunately, we're really working on doing things for yourself in my program, so the kids can clean up after themselves. ;)

12. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Oct 1, 2006

With 3s you have to be very consistent and very patient. I have 16 three year olds with an assistant in a nice big room. We are not going crazy! I think the teacher sets the tone for the room. My day is just going great!

13. missyloveskids

missyloveskids Rookie

Oct 4, 2006

In our center there are 24 kids in the Jr Pre Room aged 2.5 to 3.8 and OMGosh! It is crazy! I couldn't work in that room! About 6 of them in diapers and another 6 in the full scale toilet training! And to top it all off the am and pm shift cover person seems like another child rather then a helpful teacher. She actually has special needs and she is so sweet but not suitable to be responsible for young ones. Those poor teachers also need to find time to fill out 24! daily charts and daily comments. I would have to quit if I ever got moved to that room. They teachers are stresssssed to the max all the time! Which makes kids behave worse! They is not a second of time for teachers to just "be" "play" with the children they just spend all day going through care routines and putting out all the little fires. The other day one child fell down the stairs! and other kid cut the hair of another one painted the just freshly cleaned lunch tables, they always can't find shoes, mittens and trying to keep track of sleep toys, blankets and parent messages, meds! one child as a chromasonal defect, and needs much developmental support, another two seem to have sensory intergration issues. I comming from another room recomended to the supervisor bringing in a volunteer from a local angency and since she hasn't spent more then a few minutes actually working in a classroom in the past 14 years she doesn't give a rats butt about the her staff or the kids. She comes first! We just built a very crappy new center that is set up horribbly and buit it with a preschool room of 24 knowing that all research recomends not to go over the 16 kids in a room. The sad thing is that the children do not get the care they need! which is critical for their brain development. Its sad! I need a new job!