Preschool Question: Goddard or Primrose?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Mrs.BellaVida, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Mrs.BellaVida

Mrs.BellaVida Rookie

Aug 16, 2010

I've posted recently that I got a job offer at Goddard for an Assistant Teacher position for PreK:, the pay rate is average, however, their waiting list is full so I will not be able to bring my baby with me (10 months), so I'm enrolling him in outside daycare, its also a 25 min drive. Earlier today I got a call from a Primrose school to interview tomorrow, 5 minutes from my house for a teacher position, I dont know about daycare or pay yet but just based on their reputation or your personal experiences, who do you think would be best to work for? My goal is to be a Kindergarten teacher. Thanks in advance for your advice

3. fedfanforever11

fedfanforever11 Rookie

Aug 29, 2010

If you get the lead teacher job, you should probably take that one.

4. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 29, 2010

I agree, the lead teacher job would be more benfical for you and will look good on your resume. I assume a lead teacher job would make more too.

5. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 29, 2010

I've never heard of Primrose so I can't offer anything as far as their reputation but I'd definitely take a lead teacher position over an assistant position even if the pay ends up being the same. And if this place has space in the infant room then it's a no brainer! I had my children with me at the child care center I worked at for 3 years and it was so convenient and great.

6. chickadee

chickadee New Member

Aug 31, 2010

I interviewed with both schools several years ago. The main difference I could make out was Goddard requires leads to write their own lesson plans, while Primrose plans are already written for you.

Did you come to a decision?

7. vbubbles1874

vbubbles1874 Companion

Aug 31, 2010

I've worked for both and would take the Goddard position over anything from Primrose. I understand that the Goddard position is an assistant, but from my experience Goddard is more professional. Goddard requires all lead teachers to hold a degree, which was the main draw for me. The only reason I did leave was because we moved out of state. Primrose is cookie cutter curriculum. It's all done for you, maybe you like that, but not me. I like doing my own curriculum. HTH...JMO!

Good luck!

8. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Aug 31, 2010

I had a REALLY bad experience with Primrose, but thought Goddard was decent. know of three other people who also had issues with Primrose. In the centers I have worked, no matter your status, everyone was paid roughly the same, degree or no degree, lead or assistant.

Also keep in mind that these are individually owned under the franchise, and each center is going to be drastically different. The problems I had and the problems others experienced occured at the same center.

9. newprschteacher

newprschteacher Rookie

Sep 3, 2010

If the Goddard School is in Morrisville NC then weigh your optionns. I knew somebody who worked there and from what I know seems like not a very employee friendly workplace.