Preschool or Substituting

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by dola0072, Jul 16, 2009.

1. dola0072

dola0072 Rookie

Jul 16, 2009

I am a preschool teacher. My ultimate goal is to be an elementary teacher. My degree is in elementary education but with the shortage of teaching jobs in my area I ended up at a private school teaching 3 and 4 year olds. I was just wondering if the schools would see my preschool teaching as experience since it is not in elementary. Would they see substituting as more experience or should I stay at my preschool if I cannot get a teaching job for the 2009-2010 school year. What do you think.

3. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2009

are there any academic in your preschool?

4. dola0072

dola0072 Rookie

Jul 17, 2009

Yes, we do have a curriculum that we follow and I also have to teach art, music, and physical education.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 17, 2009

dola,
    It may be different in different places,but I know that preschool experience is not counted as teaching experience where I am at. Neither is child care, afterschool programs (like YMCA or Parks and Rec), babysitting, or one-on-one tutoring. The only exception is that it can give you a leg up in getting a PreK position in public school -- but those positions are next to impossible to get with a huge line of people wanting them (you get paid elementary school money, and summers off, for teaching PreK.) Also, for PreK in public school here, you have to have a PreK certification (and most people have K-6 or K-4, or K-8.) A preK cert is an early childhood certification. Our state is having a huge push for preK classes right now, and in the past 2 years we have gone from having 1 full-day preK class to 7 full-day preK classes. It is just amazing to see these little ones in school each day. :)

I hope there are some people from your state who can give you an answer more specific to your state.

6. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Jul 17, 2009

If you eventually want an elementary position, it might be better to sub. "Foot in the door" kind of thing. They get to know you in the schools and when an opening comes along...you'll probably have an advantage.

It is distressing to hear that what I teach is lumped in with day care and babysitting sometimes. That "pre-k" definition gets muddled, doesn't it? Maybe it depends on what part of the country you live in.

7. PrekCAteacher

PrekCAteacher Rookie

Jul 17, 2009

I don't know what state you are in or what kind of preschool, but I will tell you I am thankful everyday for my preschool teaching postion. I am at am elementary school, and i am just the pre-k room, we are state preschool. I subbed in a school district, worked in their after school programs, spelling bee coach, Long term subbing for a year, and they still didn't hire me. Now all my friends who were hired in tht district and the district i currently work in are losing their jobs due to budget cuts, thank goodness my program is not being cut. I did sub for three years before deiciding to apply to anything!! I might be qualified for and getting this classroom. While you sub you are considered a temporary employee, I couldn't verify my income even though it was steady, and i didn't have benefits. I would consider all of those things before deciding to leave your current job.

8. taryn_liz

taryn_liz Rookie

Jul 18, 2009

I worked at a private preschool last year for the same reason. But then this year I was hired on as a 1st grade teacher for the local public school. I had more experience, and more of an idea of what I was doing. Also the rules I had in my pre-k class are going to be used schoolwide for general rules in the hallway, cafeteria, etc. I didn't get to count the year on the salary schedule or anything like that, but it was a year of growth that I can use in my class this year.
    Also I saw the pre-k job as solid money, where as subbing would sometimes be sketchy as to what the check would look like at the end of the month. Don't know if that helped any, but just wanted to share my experiences with it all.

9. smalagreca

smalagreca Companion

Jul 18, 2009

Sub- get your name known in a public school.

10. mom2alex

mom2alex Companion

Jul 19, 2009

Since there aren't really any jobs here right now I have applied and interviewed for a Pre-K position. I agree with the others that it is experience in that you are managing your own classroom. You also have the steady income that others mentioned. If you don't need steady income, then I would sub so that you could get to meet different people.