preschool or aide/subbing??

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by HufflePuff, Aug 6, 2007.

1. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Aug 6, 2007

a friend of mine just recently accepted a position teaching preschool in a private school.

what is your opinion? obviously, everyone has their heart on certain ages, grades, etc.; I am just curious how you guys feel about this...

do you think accepting a job such as the above is more advantageous than accepting an aide job in a public school (a great district in my case) or subbing in public schools?

i definitely have an upper grade preference (3-5) so, to me, i wouldn't really enjoy having a preschool teaching job. plus, my goal is to work in a public school.

what do you think????

go! :)

3. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Aug 6, 2007

I would NOT take a job that I didn't think I could be happy with. Everyone told me to apply for elementary ed, but I really wanted high school. I stuck to my guns and actually got called by every high school in my district. In my opinion, it is better to work with the population you would want to teach, even if that means being a sub or aide.

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2007

I almost took a preschool position but it was in a public school and I am early childhood and elem certified. But then my current position opened up, so I took it instead:) I think I agree that I would be an aide for a population I like instead of take a job I don't like as long as there are benefits or ways I can survive (like salary, etc). Its a tough decision possibly, but I think you would need to do what is in your heart.

5. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 6, 2007

I would sub or do the aide position, you need to be seen by the districts. Most of them will not hire people they don't know.
    I would go with the face recognition.
    It landed me my classroom.

6. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Aug 6, 2007

Personally, preschool isn't for me. I like upper elementary to middle school age so I defiantely wouldn't go for that kind of job. I actually have an ECE degree and the best decision I ever made in my life was to dual major in EL ED. I thought I'd prefer the younger kids but it's just the opposite.