preschool multiple disabilities

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by ciounoi, Oct 6, 2012.

1. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Oct 6, 2012

I am working as an aide in a class for 3-4 year olds with multiple disabilities for the next few months. Many of the kids are nonverbal, some have limited mobility, and most are functioning at an 8-12 month old level.

At this age/level, what skills should be a priority for these students to learn? Communication, attending, etc. Since I'm a sub (albeit an LTS!), I'm not getting as much info as I'd like about these students, probably because I'm temporary. Any info would be appreciated!

3. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 7, 2012

You can ask for their IEPs/IFSPs, as you have educational responsibility for the students.

Peruse their evaluations after looking through their records and then figure it out from there.

Honestly, at the level they are at, they can improve immensely. When I was 3, I was below 1.5 years age equivalent globally. Now I am just severely disabled in things relating to coordination

4. Nitch

Nitch Rookie

Oct 7, 2012

The teacher in charge should be telling you what to do. Ask her, are you supposed to track goals, what they want you to do in the room.

5. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Oct 7, 2012

Well, I have asked, I'm just not getting that much info. The teacher is also new to the classroom, so she's getting used to the class as well. I've worked with this age group before, just not this delayed. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with kids like this before and could add their two cents. :)

6. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Oct 7, 2012

I'd go to the office and look in their cumulative folders - there should be a copy of the IEP and evaluation. It may be helpful to look at those goals and developmental levels in different areas, give it some thought and planning, then repost with specifics about individual kids you may be having trouble with.

7. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Oct 7, 2012

Check out what 8-12months students should be doing according to the school's set goals and plans. That is what you should be working with.
    They need a LOT of one-on-one interactions, hugs, continual verbal communications from you the whole time you are with or around them. They need a LOT of music; diff kinds of musical instruments can be introduced to them, soft toys, books with BIG pictures; you can tell them about the pictures, balls of different sizes.
    Ask the teacher to show you their files so you can learn something about each child. Build a rapport with the parents with the teacher's approval, so y'all can get it together for them. Communication is very important between you and the teacher, so you can learn as you go along. Continue to ask questions about EVERYTHING! If she brushes you away, then tell her that you will go get help from the admin! Run everything by/through her b4 you go anywhere else. It's the proper chain of command, and you will get results better that way, so you don't come across like a snitch.:hugs:
    Good luck,
    Rebel1

8. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Oct 8, 2012

Thanks for the info! I'm looking forward to learning more about these kids in the next few weeks. :)

9. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Oct 8, 2012

Good luck!