Preschool Learning center position vs subbing in NJ

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Amy0808, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Amy0808

Amy0808 New Member

Nov 12, 2008

Hi guys! I've been lurking around here for quite some time and finally decided to post about an issue I'm having. I've been struggling to find a teaching job for the past year. I have been subbing but I'm not really happy doing that and I feel like I'm going no where. I can't tell you how many resumes I've sent out and have only been on 2 interviews. And you can probably guess how those turned out. Anyways, I'm certified P-3 and K-5 but my major was Early Childhood Education. I have quite a bit of Preschool experience and really enjoy the 3 and 4 demographic the best. Kindergarten is great too. However, I know beggars can't be choosers when it comes to finding a teaching job in NJ.
    Anyways, I recently nabbed a couple of interviews at two learning centers; one for a 3's class and one for a 4's class. I'm going to go on the interviews to check things out and to get some more experience but I have some reservations as to whether I should take these jobs if they are offered to me. I worked as an assistant at a daycare summer camp a few years ago even before I started my teacher training at my university. I mean no offense what so ever to day care teachers, but I've heard from others that it might be harder to get a public school position in the future if you have a day care / learning center on your resume once you are state certified. Is this true? Should I just continue to sub and turn these positions down if they are offered? Could it hurt my chances of getting a better position in the future? Once again, I mean absolutely no offense to those working in learning centers but I just need some honest advice. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

3. Elena5

Elena5 Rookie

Nov 12, 2008

Does the district you are subbing in hire their substitutes to be teachers? If they do then it is probably worth it to sub for the rest of the year, even if you don't really like it. If you haven't met any teachers who were subs and then hired, or if you aren't working that often, then I would probably consider working at the learning center if it would make you happier.

4. MissErin

MissErin Comrade

Nov 12, 2008

I honestly hadn't heard that.... but speaking from sort of experience- my ultimate goal is to be in a public elementary school. I have a job in a private accelerated learning center or school and I really think it isn't going to help me in my future endeavors. Not to mention the pay is horrible and I do after school childcare as well as cleaning the school, etc. But that's another story entirely =)

5. Amy0808

Amy0808 New Member

Nov 12, 2008

Thanks for responding. Is the learning center you work in considered daycare? The ones I got the interviews for are places that have infant rooms, toddler rooms, preschool, etc. Wouldn't this be considered more of a daycare center? I haven't been on the interviews yet so I'll see what kind of credentials the other teachers have. If you don't mind me asking, do you have your teacher cert as well?

6. bet3

bet3 Companion

Nov 12, 2008

I quit a child development center in September because I had had no luck getting hired in public school and I thought that subbing might help me get my foot in the door. Actually, that wasn't the only reason I quit. I don't know why, but it seems that children misbehave worse at daycare than they do at school. It is more difficult to keep them busy and to keep the troublemakers separated (I hope that description doesn't sound too mean; you know the type of children I am talking about).

I don't think having child development centers on your resume will hurt your chances of being hired in public school, but it won't help either. At my interview the other day, when they asked me about my experience with children, they were very specific in wanting to know about school experience; daycare did not count.

7. BackpocketNJ

BackpocketNJ Rookie

Nov 15, 2008

Hey,

I'm in New Jersey as well.

For me, subbing was the best way to go. I subbed in the district where I lived pretty much everyday and made a reputation for myself. I was willing to sub k-12, any subject. I took the difficult things like high school gym, etc. When my new principal called, he heard about how flexible I was from the other principals. Also, right around the time I got my job, a job opened up at the school I was subbing at. I was on their list of people to interview as well.

On the flipside, the school I work at now hired me for third grade over a girl who has worked there for at least a year or 2 doing subbing and aid work.

I'm not too familiar with learning centers, but another friend of mine worked at one for 3 years after he left teaching third grade when his son was born. I think the learning center was part time at first and then he got divorced. It became full time and he was hired on as an assistant manager. My principal was really interested in that when a kindergarten spot opened up. It also helped that he had public school experience thoughl.

To sum up, for me, I would try to get long-term sub or an aid job somewhere before going to a learning center if you can swing it. Again, that is just me. No right or wrong here though.

That is just me.

Good luck.