Preschool interview

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Newkindermom, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Newkindermom

Newkindermom Rookie

Jan 24, 2019

Hi! I have an interview for a preschool teacher position in a public school. I have not been on an interview in a very long time. I have been a teacher for about 10 years but not been on many interviews. I have also never taught pre school before I have taught kindergarten. I would love some tips on the interview and teaching preschool. I am excited about the opportunity but a little nervous about what teaching preschool entails. Thank you!

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 24, 2019

I think preschool is a lot like Kinder in that for many children this is their first experience in school and they need to learn life skills...how to behave in a school situation, how to be more independent, how to follow directions...as well as the concrete skills, writing, coloring, cutting, pasting, etc.
    Preschool has changed greatly since I taught in preschool 40 years ago. It is now much more academic than it used to be. The public school preschools I am familiar with expect students to be reading some when they get to kindergarten. They expect them to have basic math skills.
    I think you will find the transition easier since you have already taught kindergarten.
    Good luck and please keep us posted.

4. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jan 25, 2019

It depends on where you live.
    I taught preschool in an affluent area as well as low income.
    In the former, the kids could read and write and use rulers and tell time before they left for Kindergarten.
    In the latter, the kids were working on holding a pencil and identifying colors & shapes and count to 20.
    The social/emotional and maturity levels were different too, even though both groups were the same age