Preschool Gym Troubles

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by cookiemama, Dec 11, 2005.

1. cookiemama

cookiemama New Member

Dec 11, 2005

I was asked to teach a preschool gym class at our local YMCA. I was told it would be 4-5 year olds--pre-k age. Last week was the first class. The oldest child there was 3 and the youngest was not yet 2. I had lots and lots of great ideas to do with the older kids--most of which would not easily work with the babies I ended up with.

That was ok I guess, I felt like I could change things and do more repetition and simpler games. I put posters that I'd made up on the wall of each activity we would do--one of a parachute, one of music time, etc. and we followed the program. We did seven different activities that day. I felt, that although I wasn't as prepared as I'd like, things went ok and the kids had a lot of fun.

Later that week the director there called and said she'd talked to some parents and they had felt like it wasn't structured enough. They would like a "theme" each week and more structured games.
    I get paid $10 for teaching the class each week--no money for prep time--and I am okay with that because I feel like it is a good way to give back to the community. However, I do not have hours to put into preparation every week. Does anyone have good ideas of simple activities for gym time 18 months to 3 years old?

3. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Dec 11, 2005

finger plays, music ---Hokey Pokey, I'm A Little Tea Pot, Mulberry Bush, Dance with streamers.... Action.... Hop like a rabbit, swing trunk like an elelphant with arms out in front of you, fly like a bird, fly like an airplane, swim like a fish, and etc.

Really it sounds like you are doing a great job. To bad parents didn't appreciate you.

4. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Dec 11, 2005

my two's and three's really like to have a "parade" where we march around the room

5. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 12, 2005

We did these classes at our local YWCA, and they also do these at our YMCA. I would make it more like structured play time. You could do bean bag activities/songs. You can incorprate tumbling into it too.

6. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

Dec 13, 2005

I bet the kids were having fun! (too bad most adults can't remember how!) A theme could be as simple as the Three Little Pigs, you can crawl, hop or skip to each house, ect. You could do "Farm" and mimic the movement of animals. "Ocean" can also lend itself to a lot of movement. The bean bag idea is good too, or even walking while carrying objects (helps with balance), the bags or objects could be "pretend" items related to the theme. "Circus" could have them running through hoops, balancing, ect. You can always enlarge a few icons or create posters to designate theme areas as well, like the lion cage, ect. With this age London Bridge, Ring Around the Rosie & Duck, Duck, Goose are also appropriate games. You can even change the lyrics to fit your themes.

7. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Dec 13, 2005

The Animals in the Ocean
    (Tune: Wheels on the Bus)
    The sharks in the sea go chomp, chomp, chomp!
    chomp, chomp, chomp!
    chomp, chomp, chomp!
    The sharks in the sea go chomp, chomp, chomp!
    All through the day!
    (see more verses below...)
    The fish in the sea go swim, swim, swim...
    The lobsters in the sea go pinch, pinch, pinch...
    The octopus in the sea go wiggle wiggle wiggle...
    The sea horse in the sea rocks back and forth...
    The whale in the sea goes squirt squirt squirt...
    The clam in the sea goes open and shut...
    The crabs in the sea go click click click...

Feed the Shark Draw a large shark face on a piece of poster board or the side of a box. Cut a hole out where the shark's mouth would be and add paper teeth (make it at least twice the size of the beanbag). Tape the board to a chair and let each of your children take three tries to feed the shark (by throwing a beanbag into the shark's mouth).

I found these in one of my files. I don't know where or when I found and added them to the Ocean Theme.

8. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Dec 13, 2005

Western Theme...
    Bandanna
    cut triangle pieces of fabric for their own bandanna.
    Stick Horse
    What You Need:
    Wrapping Paper Tubes
    Cardboard
    Paint/Markers/Crayons
    Yarn
    What You Do:
    Ask your parents to donate some Christmas Paper Rolls (if you can not get enough use rolled up newspaper instead). Cut out horse's heads (leave a neck to go inside the tube) from cardboard and let your children design their horse. They can paint them and use yarn for the mane and halter. Help your children attach them with glue and tape. Now go out Ridin'! Stick horse races.... straight line.... weave in and out of poles.... Barrel race like in real rodeos. Do the cover leaf design. I don't remember what it is called race down pick up a bandana and race back... Another is when you race down and a second person gets on and rides with you back to the finish line.
    Could you send home the instructions and have students and parents make the stick horses????? Parents could save the Christmas wrap rolls for you. Might be more work than you want, that's ok have them pretend to be riding horses.

9. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 13, 2005

What about relay races?

10. cookiemama

cookiemama New Member

Dec 13, 2005

Thanks so much for taking the time to type in all these great ideas. My class last week was cancelled because of snow, so I've had two weeks to prepare for the next class and I think it will be good. I am going to do a zoo theme this week. We will play Hungry Hungry Hippos--you put lots of small balls out on the floor, pictures of hippos on the walls and buckets under the hippos and the kids are zookeepers and have to "feed" them. And I will do more circle time than last time. I hope they like it better.