Preschool Curriculum

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Teacher87, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Teacher87

Teacher87 Rookie

Aug 8, 2016

My district is looking for an early childhood curriculum to use for our special education early childhood program. Right now we basically use weekly themes and kind of create our own curriculum as we go. However, administration is insisting that we find an actual curriculum to use. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know they used Creative Curriculum at one point, but they did not like it (that's the only one that I have actual experience with, as well -- the rest of my teaching experience I've just taught by themes and used the state learning standards to plan).

3. Lumi

Lumi Companion

Sep 11, 2016

I work in a public preschool in a large and very successful district. We use the Frog Street Press curriculum in all three of our pre-schools. It's an excellent curriculum and I highly recommend it.

4. jeepgirlsrock

jeepgirlsrock Rookie

Feb 9, 2017

5. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Feb 9, 2017

I use the Early Learning Literacy Model Plus in Florida's VPK (Voluntary Pre Kindergarten) program. I love it is awesome. The whole curriculum comes equipped with books to read, instructional booklets, and ideas to teach

6. lhebert

lhebert Rookie

Apr 8, 2017

I also work in a Public Pre- K classroom! We use the OWL Curriculum! The results have been above and beyond what we could have hoped for. The learning that takes place in our classroom is real and engaging each day! Our district Pre-K Program has finished with one the highest School-Readiness Scores in the state after implementing the OWL Curriculum. No doubt that the first year is the toughest/roughest year! Believe me, I thought it was ridiculous to read books this way or expect 4/5 year old to grasp the concepts of shadows or reflections. But they can! The more youre exposing children to these concepts the more they WILL learn! The more engaging you can be when teaching these concepts the more they will be enthusiastic about learning! I love this curriculum and it truly is the most effective curriculum that I have used in my teaching career. If you put the work in so will the children!!!!!

7. Ashleyray

Ashleyray New Member

Apr 12, 2017

I work in a preschool classroom and we use the Highscope curriculum across all of our programs and I would NOT recommend it. It seems to be nothing but a money grabbing scheme. All of our teachers have a hard time understanding what is even approved. If you look for any information on it you have to buy the information. The program is basically letting children do what they want most of the time and the teacher is a friendly voice in the classroom. There are so many rules to it, and they put the curriculum over children's safety and developmental milestones. Please don't use it. It hurts students because they expect these kinds of acts to be carried into Kindergarten and they aren't. By kindergarten they don't know basics like how to sit still for a story, or how to use scissors.