Preschool Behavior Problems

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by missjessica, Jul 19, 2011.

1. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Jul 19, 2011

Hello everyone. I am currently teaching ESY preschool and it's my first time as a teacher. I am going to be teaching high school next year which will be a whole other thing.
    I have a question about behavior. I have one little girl who is usually so sweet and cute but sometimes she will get very upset and start screaming, kicking, yelling, etc. If we tell her, "Ok, it's time for circle time!" she'll usually say, "No, thank you, teacher." When we insist she then begins screaming and crying.
    Sometimes she'll cry for a few minutes, then suddenly be completely fine but will run away to where she is supposed to go.
    Today I spent five minutes with her in the classroom as she ran around screaming and crying about her shoes. She didn't want to put them on and go to the bus to go home. It's because they were causing blisters.
    Anyway...if you haven't gathered this yet, she has autism. We give her multiple warnings about transitioning to other activities. Does anyone have any ideas about how to help her transition to new activities?
    Please help! I only have 4 days left but if I have another day like today I don't think I'll make it! :eek:

3. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2011

-Find out IF she has a favorite stuffed animal that she is attached to OR anything that she has to have. Use that as her transitioning buddy. Mention that she has to take her___________ to the next activity, etc.
    -Ask the parents about what they use @ home to get her to do what she needs to do.
    Good luck,
    Rebel1

4. FLTeacher

FLTeacher Rookie

Jul 20, 2011

Are you using a picture schedule? That would help...also a first/then board for her might help her to see exactly what is next. You could show her what activity is next OR use the "then" part of the board to show a reward she gets after coming to circle time.

I hope the rest of ESY goes smoothly!

5. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Jul 20, 2011

Today to bring her back from recess easily I said, "When we get back to the classroom we're going to blow bubbles for one minute!" It worked well, but I'm not sure if that would be a good one to use if I had her the whole year. Since we just have 3 more days after this I figured it would be fine!

6. xitalianacutiex

xitalianacutiex Rookie

Jul 20, 2011

I'd do a visual schedule in combo with a reward system. You can print out a picture of her favorite toy and cut it up into puzzle pieces, and when she is behaving she gets a piece. When she gets the entire puzzle filled in, then she can earn the toy.

I do really like first than boards... works wonders

7. FLTeacher

FLTeacher Rookie

Jul 20, 2011

The puzzle idea is really good!! I might have to use that this year with a high functioning student of mine. He has a little attitude...very cute but trouble at the same time! :)