Preschool aged interview

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kgamb426, Aug 2, 2017.

1. kgamb426

kgamb426 Guest

Aug 2, 2017

Hi guys! So I have an interview for a preschool aged classroom and I have to do a sample lesson while I'm there. Lesson planning is one of my fav things to do so I right away starting looking things up and brainstorming ideas. I quickly found something fun to do but I'm worried it may take longer than I want it to. They gave me a 15-20 min time frame. I'm also afraid of it going too fast, so isn't it better to over prepare? How long do you guys think this lesson would take? I'm a fairly new teacher and still working on time management :)

Mix It Up! Lesson

Materials:

Mix It Up! By Herve Tullet

10- Plastic bags sealed and filled with blue paint, red paint and shaving cream

10- Plastic bags sealed and filled with red paint, yellow paint and shaving cream

10- Plastic bags sealed and filled with yellow paint, blue paint and shaving cream

Large chart paper

Markers

Implementation:

· Teacher will gather children onto the carpet

· Teacher will go over good listening behaviors such as quiet mouths, hands in lap, raising hands

· Teacher will begin to read Mix It Up! As story permits, the teacher will invite students to come up to interact with the book

· Teacher will call on students to make predictions about what might happen in the story

· Teacher will discuss which colors each primary colors make when they are mixed

· Teacher will explain to students that they are going to be investigators to make sure that this book is telling us the truth about these colors

· Teacher will explain to students that a prediction is when you use what you already know to make a good guess of what you think will happen

· Teacher will tell students that they will each be separated into 3 groups and each groups job is to prove that our predictions are correct

· Teacher will write “Our Predictions” at the top of a piece of paper

· Teacher will write “Red + Yellow =” on the paper and call on a student for the answer

o Repeat with “Yellow + Blue =” and “Red + Blue =”

o Teacher will refer to story as necessary to find answers.

· Teacher will randomly distribute 1 pompom to each student. Students that have the same colored pompoms will be in 1 group.

· Teacher will explain that these pompoms are also their ticket for a treat after our experiment. If students are misbehaving, they will lose their pompom (briefly discuss inappropriate behaviors). The students that still have their pompoms at the end of the experiment will get a prize.

· Teacher will call students with specific color pompoms to each space

· Teacher will hand out one plastic baggie to each student (corresponding to which color group they are in)

· Teacher will model squishing, rolling, patting bag to mix colors.

· Students in each group will now start mixing their baggies up.

· Teacher will walk around room, discussing with groups what they see and if they think their prediction will be correct.

· After all groups are finished, students will gather on rug with their groups and baggies

· The teacher will point to each prediction on the paper and ask the specific group if our prediction was correct and put a check mark if so.

3. stask81

stask81 Rookie

Aug 3, 2017

My wife used to do preschool, so the pace of lesson kinda depends on the order of the class. But preschool kids are never quite orderly and will be excited around your color props, so I have a feeling it will take slightly longer than 20 mins, but i think it will be fine if the kids pay attention, enjoy the lesson and learn about mixed colors and hypothesizing.

Will be best to maintain measured pace, and not rush. The use of bags is a good idea, so the students won't get their hands messy and no concern about allergies to paint/prop there.