Preps

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Resentful, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Oct 7, 2012

I get my lesson planning, grading, and paperwork done during my preps. I notice a lot of people on here bring work home to do over the weekend. How much planning do you get done on your prep? I used to get a double lunch and it would only take me three days to do all my planning.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 7, 2012

On a prep planning period, I typically run copies, check and answer email, run to the ladies room.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 7, 2012

I tend to do my planning on weekends.

Though, to be honest, it takes next to no time at this point in my career.

This weekend I'm busy fighting Power School as I enter my progress grades; it doesn't seem to want to print my "parent conference requested" comments. I've just emailed our tech people for a bit of help.

But beyond that, it's housework and not schoolwork for me this weekend.

5. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Oct 7, 2012

Once you settle into a grade/subject, I think it's easier. I feel like I'm auto pilot when writing my plans. I'm almost to the point where I have most of the standards that do with each lesson memorized, but I'm always had a good memory. The things that take up the most time are my hands on activities that I have to plan out a new and get supplies for. I do different things, because each year the students seems to have different skills and different interests.

6. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Oct 7, 2012

I'm in an interesting situation as a principal who still teaches 2-3 class (depending on the semester), I don't have set prep time as I have meetings everyday so it varies. I, like Alice, tend to do most of my prep on the weekends. Most of my materials that I use (assignments, PowerPoints, projects, activities, etc.) I make in advanced over the summer or retweek from year to year. So at this point in my career, I just make minor adjustments and go from there. This doesn't mean that I use the same assignments over and over again, I just make these changes pretty well in advanced. Sometimes a new idea will hit me while I'm doing something else and I'll write it down and come back to it later.

My grading, however, is what takes up most of my time during the week. I'd like to say I get it all done at school; I don't. I do, however, get my grading done quickly. I do stagger assignment due dates and tests/quizzes though. That way when my Freshman have a quiz on Monday I can devote my time to getting them all graded and returned by Tuesday, before my Seniors have a paper due on Wednesday.

7. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Oct 7, 2012

I eat lunch since my real lunch is usually taken up by (insert meeting/child drama/phone call here). I also have science right after so I'm usually setting up some kind of lab as well as any materials for math after science. When that is done I answer email, hang student work/do bulletin boards, or complete IEP documents.

I am finding that planning and grading still take me a while, so it's hard to do in that fairly short time.

8. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 7, 2012

I used to be able to handle pretty much all planning, grading, copying, etc on my preps. However, this year we switched to common core so everything is new again! It's taking longer to get the planning done.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 7, 2012

I usually spend my planning time answering email, prepping stuff in my classroom, or working with my grade-level partner. I also like having a little down time to relax. Oh, and it's nice to have a nice leisurely trip to the adult bathroom.

Typically I do my planning on Sunday afternoons on my couch at home.

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 7, 2012

We get four 20 minute preps throughout the week and a planning period after students go home. At least twice a week that afterschool planning period is taken up by meetings.

11. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Oct 7, 2012

I tend to use my planning time at school to conference with my team or with the teacher on the other team who teaches the same subject I do. I plan with her, so it has to happen at school. I bring a lot of papers home to grade and I do a lot of research at home.

12. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 7, 2012

I start my planning for the following week on Monday night at home. I enjoy the quiet, and I have no school interruptions. By Wednesday I am done planning and my coping during my prep begins.
    Monday and Tuesday's preps are taken up by meeting with the special ed teacher and team collaboration.

13. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Oct 7, 2012

During my preps AND my lunch period, I normally:

- have meetings
    - straighten up my room
    - make copies
    - check and respond to emails
    - grade papers
    - file and organize
    - create centers
    - work on bulletin boards
    - call parents

There is no time at all to plan. I do all my planning at home throughout the week and on weekends.

14. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Oct 7, 2012

I use my prep to grade, enter grades into online gradebook, pull out copies to give the copy lady, answer emails, do any paperwork that needs doing, etc. Sometimes I need to prep for science experiments or hands-on activities that take more prep work. Since my first year of teaching, I've been able to do what needs doing during my prep or from 3-3:30 or so. I'm contracted until 3:15. I do a lot of prep work during the summer, though.

15. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 7, 2012

The only kid-free time I get is 40 minutes of planning. That's if there's not a grade level meeting, an SBLC meeting, a parent that's coming in, or needing to call a parent for a child. That's also the only time I have to work with kids who have been absent and need to make up work. If I have any time left from all of that, I run to the restroom (planning is at 2:05 - I ALWAYS have to make that run...it's been a long day until then.) make copies, set up the lab for the next day or clean it if I've already used it, and try and grade a few papers. The grade level before us is always late picking up their kids, so I don't usually get to drop mine off until 2:10. I pick them up at 2:45, so that doesn't leave much time. Our parish has a new mandated lesson plan template that demands much more indpepth planning. I'm lucky, this year I only have to plan 2 subjects. Before this year, I planned 6. You can't do that in 30 minutes.

16. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Oct 7, 2012

My plan is when I eat lunch, go to the teacher's resource room to check my email and make copies, and go to IEP meetings or Admin meetings. Little time to plan, breathe or chew.

17. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Oct 7, 2012

I'm confused. Why are your preps only 20 minutes? What about when your students have specials?

18. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 8, 2012

I usually have only 30 minutes of prep per day. By the time I drop the kids off and pick them up, it is more like 20-25 minutes. My prep time is spent answering emails (about 40/day), responding to parent phone calls/notes, taking care of things that pop up during the day (things to turn in to the office, etc.), meetings, and giving any upcoming lessons one last glance. I cannot imagine having time to actually lesson plan during my prep time. In 5 years that has only happened a handful of times.

I sometimes plan lessons after school, but most of my planning is done on Sundays.

19. TamaraF

TamaraF Companion

Oct 8, 2012

I get a prep one semester of each year. So, this first semester I have a prep, and next semester, I teach all four blocks. During my prep I copy, mark, and email. On Sunday afternoons I plan for the coming two weeks.

20. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Oct 8, 2012

I do organizing, preparation of lessons, meeting with grade level teachers, tidying of the classroom, grading student work, and copying during prep time. I cannot complain about the amount of prep time I get.

21. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 8, 2012

Our "prep" time is the 15-20 minutes after lunch when the students are at recess. Like others have said, that is the only time we have to work with students on make-up work, run to the restroom, check our boxes, make phone calls, run to the copier, etc. I don't do any planning during the school day!

22. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Oct 8, 2012

Out of my five planning periods a week: I grade on 3 of them, 1 of them I write out lesson plans for the next week and on one of them I make copies for the next week.

I never ever take papers to grade home because I hate grading papers so I just refuse to do it at home. I don't mind working on lessons at home, so I'll do that.

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 8, 2012

I don't really get preps because the specials teachers can't handle my class without extra assistance. This is true for most of the teachers here. I arrive to school early to get things done. I do have between 12:10 and 1pm to eat lunch and do whatever I need to prepare for the rest of the day so that helps.

24. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Oct 9, 2012

While I did say above that it is hard to complete planning and grading during prep...I AM amazed at how I've managed to milk 45 minutes since becoming a teacher. Today I actually went to Walmart to get batteries, copied a social studies quiz, ate lunch, AND went to the bathroom all in that time! :lol:

25. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Oct 9, 2012

I don't have time to plan at school either. During planning I'm busy with e-mails, meetings, copies, setting up centers/organizing the room/setting up other materials. If I'm lucky I might get time to grade or enter grades- that's happened maybe 2-3 times this whole year. I don't think there's been any day where I've actually had time to write plans at school. However, I'm constantly thinking about what I might want to do the next day, so by the time I actually sit down to write the plans it's not too time consuming. I don't stay late after school and usually end up doing about an hour of work at home each night. Sometimes I have to come in early and I spend around 5 hours on the weekend on school stuff.

26. queenie

queenie Groupie

Oct 9, 2012

I have a 45 minute planning period daily, but I lose one every 2 weeks to a grade level meeting with the principal. This is sometimes (maybe once every 2 months) a time that the principal calls someone into to provide training. I also have a parent conference (either in person or via phone) about twice every couple weeks during this time, as well. My grade level partner and I spend all open planning times together making copies, doing paperwork, running in house errands, making phone calls, answering emails, and planning. It is NEVER enough time. We usually spend about 3 -4 hours total (before and/or after school) per week planning, not counting what we do on our own to prepare at home. And now they want us to stop teaching the way they've told us to teach these past 5 years and spend our time planning UNITS??