Preplanning

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by newbie3teacher, Jul 18, 2005.

1. newbie3teacher

newbie3teacher Rookie

Jul 18, 2005

Hello all! I was just have a quick question. I was wondering how many weeks worth of lesson plans do you all do during preplanning. This is going to be my first year and I don't want to plan too little or too much. I have a feeling my ideas will change once I am actually up and teaching. (hopefully they do! :) ) Any thoughts or advice is welcome!!! Thank you!!!!

3. Sarah Leigh Ann

Sarah Leigh Ann Companion

Jul 18, 2005

I plan with my grade level and we have an overall thematic unit plan which lasts 9 weeks and is an instructional calendar. On the calendar we put our science objectives, reading comprehension strategies, phonic focus of the week, and math objectives. We give a copy of our instructional calendar to our principal, specials teachers, and ESL instructors. The principal displays all the instructional focuses in the hallway so the parents can see what their children are suppose to be learning. We usually plan for each week the week before. It is very helpful to plan with someone and gives you a chance to bounce ideas off an experienced teacher.
    If you school does not have grade level planning then I would ask a teacher if you can plan with her/him. You will find it so much easier to have another teacher to work with. Good luck with your first year- it will go by so fast!

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 18, 2005

Maybe if you get a general idea of the direction of your lesson plans but only plan specifics for the first week. Then that weekend plan one more week. You will then know the reading abilities and how much assistance they need with various tasks. That is something that even experienced teachers need to assess during the first weeks because each new class is different. You could loosely put together the various hands-on activities you want to do for each lesson or topic for the first month. Keep the ideas in files and then use them when you actually write up your plans. You are so right that things will change when you experience the time constraints and scheduling for your class. I like that part, though, planning for using every bit of teaching time.

Where exactly is Yulee, FL? I'm in West Palm.

5. newbie3teacher

newbie3teacher Rookie

Jul 19, 2005

Thanks!

Thank you both for the good advice. Tomorrow I am going in for new teacher orientation. Do you think I have to have the lesson plans done by then? The principal has not asked for us to bring them in. ?? Yulee is just north of Jacksonville. I actually live in southeast Georgia. I will be teaching in Yulee. :D :thanks:

6. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jul 19, 2005

I would not think you would have to have lesson plans done for an orientation. I would imagine that you don't even have your teachers manuals for anything yet, right??? The orientation is just that, to orient you to your new school, procedures, who's who in the school that you need to know, etc.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 19, 2005

No, don't bring lesson plans.