preparing..

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by cluv2teach, Apr 1, 2009.

1. cluv2teach

cluv2teach Rookie

Apr 1, 2009

I just graduated back in December and have been substituting since then. I'm really hopeful that I will get a teaching job for the next school year. Subbing has been nice because it has given me a chance to be alone in a classroom, but I can also see how the regular teacher does things. (I'm all about stealing great ideas!). Anyway..I am so excited to get my own classroom (eventually). I have already starting typing up routines/procedures, introduction letters to parents, how I want my classroom set up, and gathering other ideas as well. Is there anything else I can do to get prepared?? I know it's tough because who knows what grade I'll get...or if I'll get one at all. I just want to get a head start on as many things as I can.

3. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Apr 1, 2009

Start building a classroom library. Don't invest too much into workbooks although they are tempting.. you may not have time to use them and/or your district may not allow for deviating from their curriculum. Pick up some name tags or decorations when you see them especially in Target's Dollar Spot or at a dollar store. Other than that... it sounds like you are starting to prepare yourself well for the classroom. Just make sure you polish up your resume and interviewing techniques. Good luck...

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 1, 2009

Make a wishlist of things you'd like to buy once you know what you'll be teaching. Find some stores around you that you can shop at when you have a job (I have local Lakeshore and Beckers stores). Come up with an idea on what you'd like to do for classroom management system and rewards. GL!!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 2, 2009

To be honest, at this point in the year, I would be putting all my efforts into the job search.

Get your cover letters/resumes in the mail ASAP, follow up, search out new schools... don't give up until you've found something.

6. Kat03785

Kat03785 Rookie

Apr 2, 2009

I agree with Aliceacc. I would focus alot on getting resumes and other information together for the job search. Putting together copies of information and a portfolio for interviews will really help.

But I know you are probably chomping at the bit like I was to actually start buying things for your classroom. I think your best bet would be to get general things that can be used in any grade like stickers and pencils. You could also pick up things that only you will be using like a stapler, tape, pens, push pins, paper clips, special markers, scissors and that kind of stuff.

I tried to pick up stuff before I got my job and I ended up buying stuff I didn't need that didn't work for kindergarten. You can't go wrong with office stupplies. They will always get used!

7. cluv2teach

cluv2teach Rookie

Apr 2, 2009

Thanks to everyone for the advice! I've put in applications in the county I live in, as well as surrounding counties. I've also taken my resume to most of the elementary schools where I live. Should I call and check up on those?

Also...thanks for mentioning the classroom library..I actually have already started that! It's one of my favorites just because I can go around to the used bookstore's and find lots of great books for cheap. I've already filled about 3 totes! I'm always looking for more though.:thanks:

8. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Apr 2, 2009

Don't forget yard sales or garage sales ;)

I agree with the others. Focus on buying office supplies and things for the classroom library, but first of all..
    getting a job :thumb:

Good luck!

9. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Apr 2, 2009

If you don't know where you are going to be I would advise that you buy nothing. You could end up in a school where all office supplies are provided. You could end up walking into a room of a teacher who retired after 30 years and has left you everything. You could end up at a school where you will have to provide vital things that if you spend a lot of money elsewhere you can't afford the stuff.