Preparing to move classrooms

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cheeryteacher, Jul 25, 2013.

1. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2013

I just started to pack up my class for a move to a new building. The stuff I have accumulated is insane. I see how people who retire can just leave it behind. I have gifts from former students, tons of teaching books, classroom decorations, games, and the list goes on. I would like to start with a semi clean slate, but how do you figure out what to throw away? I'm a bit of a hoarder if you can't tell. If you have ever moved classes how much did you purge?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2013

Half of our staff is moving to a new building in September. Because it is still under construction, we needed to bring everything home with us. I thought I purged a lot, but I'm astounded at how much stuff I have in the basement right now. There will be a lot more purging! Things that I have to keep: classroom library books (although I did get rid of those that were too "well-loved"), paper, notebooks, art materials, math manipulatives, games. I'm getting rid of a lot of resource books and hard copies of anything I have on the computer.

4. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 25, 2013

I moved this year and made it a point to throw out, or give away, anything I knew I would not use.

I just asked myself: "Have you used this in two or three years? No? Then you won't use it in the next two or three years."

It's a cleansing feeling! :)

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 25, 2013

I am in the process of changing rooms AND grades, and man, do I have a ton of stuff for 1st grade! I'm offering some of it for sale to other local teachers, some I will offer "free to good home" in the teachers' lounge, and the rest is going in "file 13," so to speak.

6. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2013

I'm coming more to terms with getting rid of gifts from 9 years ago. I'm moving down 2 grades, so I can purge some teacher stuff that may be too advanced and manipulatived that we won't use. I have 5 boxes packed (just started today) and I have not made a dent.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2013

I moved to a new classroom last year. Prior to that move, I had been in the same room for 6 years. I didn't think I had all that much stuff, but boy was I wrong! I ended up recycling tons of worksheets and handouts that were just taking up space in my filing cabinets, putting tons of teacher books in the mail room with a "Take me, I'm yours!" sign, and throwing out hundreds of old and flimsy file folders. At the beginning of the school year, I gave away about a million different school supplies that I had collected from penny sales over the years. We also did quite a few art projects so that I could use up lots of my arts and crafts materials. I just didn't have space in the new classroom for any of that stuff.

Truth be told, it felt really good to get rid of so much stuff. I haven't missed a single thing that I tossed out or gave away.

8. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 25, 2013

I have a 3 rule system that I admit was given to me by someone much more organized then me. It has helped me a lot. Keep items only if the item fits into one of these three rules:

1. Is this an item that you will need in the next year?
    2. Is this an item that adds beauty to your classroom?
    3. Is this an item that is very valuable that would be expensive
    or nearly impossible to replace?

If the answer is no to all three, then I get rid of it.

9. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 25, 2013

I'm known around my school as being most likely to toss or give away things. If I don't need it, want it, or forsee myself using it in my current position, it's out the door. My philosophy is "If I don't know where it is or how to get to it, how can I use it?" And if it's something I'm not using, it's wasting my time and space. I haven't had to move classes yet, but if I did, and if I was teaching the same grade, I'd take everything that was allowed to go with me that didn't belong to "the room".

Now, my partner teacher is the exact opposite. Her philosophy is, "but I might want that one day!" Unfortunately, it means her room is (in my opinion) full of junk. She has things piled everywhere. She's a GREAT teacher, but some of the kids have expressed distraction by the mess. Once, a kid told me after switching classes, "I'm so glad to come to your room where it's clean and neat!" LOL.

10. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2013

I may use these rules. Maybe even cutting out rule number 2. I've had a pretty extensive (and expensive) Hawaiian theme for the past five years and I'm ready for a change.

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 25, 2013

Tomorrow I'm taking another (small) load to my new classroom. Next week, the teachers and admin of my school will all be in a Kagan class Mon-Thurs, so nothing will get done, unless my P opens the school on Friday (the district is on a 4-day week for the summer). I have three days the week after that to finish my new room and clean out the storage closet in my old room (it's full of all the stuff I couldn't bring home!)

12. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2013

I went to my new class to look at storage and those cabinets are packed! So it looks like I'll be purging my stuff and some other teachers.

13. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 28, 2013

Moved to new room - did much purging, and then more when I unpacked in the new room! Am busy purging at home too. I am looking forward to my new room this year - finally a room with a window off the main hall!