Preparing for the new year

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Mstar31, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Mstar31

Mstar31 New Member

Jul 18, 2013

Hi all,

I have just been offered a positions as a self-contained multiple disabilities elementary school teacher, just pending board approval. I have worked the past 4 years in self-contained autism classroom. I have never worked in a public school and am feeling a little out of my element, although excited! Does anyone have any recommended reading? I'm looking for books on classroom management and setting up the classroom. Thanks!

3. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jul 18, 2013

Hmm, multiple disabilities. Does that mean severe? If it's just learning disabilities, you can't go wrong with Fred Jones "Tools for Teaching" which I just HAPPEN to be RE-READING RIGHT NOW....

As far as setting up your room, I think the only thing that might be different is that in an all autism room, you probably had different closed off stations for kiddos to work in whereas in this one, you can do more of a community type setting. You didn't mention what grades in elementary. I teach K-2 and use desks. As I get to know the kiddos, those desks move all OVER the place. lol But to start the year off, they're in a generic group. Then I've got my classroom library/carpet area/calendar math spot, my CENTERS table, my listening center...