Preparing for a para interview- where to start?

Discussion in 'Paraprofessionals' started by Missangelica14, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Missangelica14

Missangelica14 Rookie

Jul 9, 2014

Hi all,
    I am waiting to hear on an interview that I want to get for a para position at a school that I have been very active in for about the last 8 years. I worked extended day for 4 and volunteered during the day before work and I am well known around the school.

So far, I have created a portfolio, updated my resume, applied for this job and I am just waiting to hear if I am getting an interview. To prepare for this, I have been practicing answering interview questions- well, writing down the answers. I also have been doing research about the school and other stuff like that...

I'm wondering if there is anything else that I need to be doing?

How can you practice for an interview?

Thanks!

3. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Jul 9, 2014

Hi MIssangelica, welcome to the forum!
    Wow, you have a long experience in that school. Just curious, what was your position when you worked in extended day?

I'm also faced with the dilema of how to get a job as a para. I went to a number of interviews, and on most of them they ask the same Qs. I made a list for myself and I practice answering them before the next interview:
    - What's your greatest weakness?
    - Posititive moments at your job
    - What is your definition of the best aide?
    - What was your best experience as an aide?
    - How would you handle confidentiality in school?
    - Tell us of a classroom situation where you would've done things differently.

Good luck!

4. Missangelica14

Missangelica14 Rookie

Jul 10, 2014

Thanks for the questions! I was a group leader in extended day. I had my own group of about 25 kids....we did lesson planning and crafts and it was a good experience in classroom management....

UOTE=anna9868;1885818]Hi MIssangelica, welcome to the forum!
    Wow, you have a long experience in that school. Just curious, what was your position when you worked in extended day?

I'm also faced with the dilema of how to get a job as a para. I went to a number of interviews, and on most of them they ask the same Qs. I made a list for myself and I practice answering them before the next interview:
    - What's your greatest weakness?
    - Posititive moments at your job
    - What is your definition of the best aide?
    - What was your best experience as an aide?
    - How would you handle confidentiality in school?
    - Tell us of a classroom situation where you would've done things differently.

Good luck![/QUOTE]

5. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Jul 10, 2014

It sounds like you are well-prepared. Do you have a friend or family member who could interview you for practice? Answering questions aloud and on the spot is a lot different that writing out answers, for me. Hope you get an interview!

6. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jul 10, 2014

I think all your experience will be a big factor...it was for me...good luck!

7. Missangelica14

Missangelica14 Rookie

Jul 10, 2014

Thanks!! That is what I am hoping:).. I am just waiting for the phone call to have an interview...

8. Missangelica14

Missangelica14 Rookie

Jul 10, 2014

Thanks!!.. I do have my mom who could help but we don't see eye to eye on why I should practice and so I am going to practice asking myself questions and videotape it and ask one of my friends to review the tape.

9. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jul 10, 2014

I was a Director of a Kindergarten extended day program, public school, two sessions, 40 kids total..and it got me a job :)

10. Missangelica14

Missangelica14 Rookie

Jul 10, 2014

Awesome! Our site was about 50-60 kids and even though I had k-2, I worked with all of the kids....I've been doing extended day for 4 years and it was earlier In the year that I decided I wanted to be in the classroom...

11. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Jul 11, 2014

Since I have been to a number of interviews already without much luck, I'm looking at my responses trying to analyze them.

Silly as the question sounds, do you think any of our responses for an aide should include the phrase "because I love to work with children."

I haven't been using it so far, I kind of assume it's natural that if you go to education you do, but maybe I should be using it as the first phrase to the question of "Why do you want to become an aide?"

What do you think?

12. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jul 11, 2014

Yes, always mention you love kids, you're good with kids, any experience with kids. I observed classrooms in college, special ed programs as well for my degree.

I have nieces and nephews I babysat for, tutored as well so I mentioned that!!!! All experiences help! I was in a Preschool program for years...worked my way up to PreK Teacher..include anything and everything....

13. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Jul 11, 2014

thanks, Sub! I like the idea of mentioning other experience with kids, I haven't thought about talking about babysitting experience, but I guess it can't hurt

14. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jul 11, 2014

No it can't hurt at all...all experience is good experience. So, keep us posted on how you do..i love to read success stories :)

15. Missangelica14

Missangelica14 Rookie

Jul 13, 2014

All right, so I have a friend who is helping me with interview questions... I emailed her the questions and left it up to her what she asks me and I am videotaping myself answering the questions... The problem is that I've been thinking too much about it, and I am getting frustrated with how my answers are coming out...

I am getting nervous because it's about time to hear something on this interview, and I don't want to sound stupid answering questions.... I admit I have taken a little bit of a break from preparing, but it has been on my mind....

How can I work on this without getting more stressed out?

16. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Jul 14, 2014

Well, everybody is so different when it comes to stressful situation. I can share how I handle my stress. I used to have such a fear of interview, especially if the interviewers behaved rigid and very official. If I didn't know the answer to the question I would get so stressed out that I wouldn't be able to answer the rest of the questions.

It helped me, after going to a number of interviews, to write down what are most of the questions that they are asking and then WRITING DOWN my answers as well. Now, having a list of the questions I practice my answers beforehand, almost learn them by heart, because I know in a stressful situation I can forget even simple things.

17. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jul 14, 2014

I actually always went into my interviews blindly..lol..I would get a phone call on a Monday to come in for Tuesday morning..literally..that's what happened to me twice and I didn't see it coming bcuz I hadn't applied for these positions..they were through subbing, right place, at the right time :)

So, its good you have time to prepare..I never did.

Let us know what happens please.

18. Missangelica14

Missangelica14 Rookie

Jul 15, 2014

Thank you, thank you, thank you, for posting this idea! I started this a couple of days ago and I have to say I don't feel as stressed as I did when I wrote my latest post...:) this really does help, even though as I am rereading my answers, I keep thinking of a better way to word things lol....I'm Also finishing things that I definitely want them to see in my portfolio... I'm trying to stay busy so that I don't feel as though I'm sitting and waiting for the phone to ring....

19. Missangelica14

Missangelica14 Rookie

Jul 15, 2014

I definitely will:)...and I agree, it's a good thing to have time to prepare.. I have been home on summer break and this has been my main concern and priority....

20. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Jul 17, 2014

Missangelica, what kind of portfolio do they want from you, I'm just curious. Never heard of aides having portfolios

21. Missangelica14

Missangelica14 Rookie

Jul 17, 2014

Well, no one asked me to create one, I thought of it awhile ago and one of my friends helped me with it...

In my portfolio, I have copies of everything I put with the application I turned in, a copy of my resume, various certificates, copies of lesson plans I did in extended day, reflections from volunteering and extended day and stuff like that...:)

22. Aspiretoteach

Aspiretoteach New Member

Jul 21, 2015

Thank you for those questions, I have been surfing all over the internet for this. I have an interview tomorrow and well I am trying to prepare as much as possible.